Continued Interest chances

Eleven Plus (11+) in South West Hertfordshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

hertsdad

Continued Interest chances

Post by hertsdad »

Can anyone help shed some light on this: We did not put Rickmansworth on our original list (a mistake, in hindsight), but would like to put it on our Continued Interest list. We're unlikely to get in on 'nearness', so the academic ability route is the best bet. No. 1 Son sat the consortium test (for Parmiters & Clement Dane) so there are results available, however Ricky won't have them, presumably. If we put him on their CI list will they go and get the results and put him at the appropriate place in their list, or will they tell us to get lost, as they weren't on our original list?

I could ask their admissions dept but they're only open till 12, and presumably rather busy.

Incidentally he is 19th in Parmiter's list; anyone any feel for how that might translate into Clement Danes (who apparently won't tell you) or Ricky lists?

Thanks
WP

Re: Continued Interest chances

Post by WP »

hertsdad wrote:Can anyone help shed some light on this: We did not put Rickmansworth on our original list (a mistake, in hindsight), but would like to put it on our Continued Interest list. We're unlikely to get in on 'nearness', so the academic ability route is the best bet. No. 1 Son sat the consortium test (for Parmiters & Clement Dane) so there are results available, however Ricky won't have them, presumably. If we put him on their CI list will they go and get the results and put him at the appropriate place in their list, or will they tell us to get lost, as they weren't on our original list?
Herts allow you to put different schools on your CI list than your original preferences, but they only handle CI lists for community and voluntary controlled schools. (They plan to stop this next year, I think.) I don't know what the situation is for schools that handle their own admissions (like Ricky). It's very possible that the school would prefer to add higher scoring applicants that didn't list them originally. As you say, the scores could be had (and it's Ricky that administers the consortium tests). I think I remember complaints about Parmiter's doing this in the past.

I'd be very interested in the answer, as I know someone else in a similar situation.
toony

Post by toony »

This might be pointless. My dd is 20th on Parmiters list but 41st on Ricky!!
hertsdad

Post by hertsdad »

Ah... :?

Thanks for the info, toony. Certainly puts a different slant on it! I've asked Ricky the question, anyway; will put up the response.

Incidentally would this count towards the 3 schools you can express a 'continued interest' in with Herts, or (as I think I understand it) is it a separate process, so in theory we could have Parmiters, Ricky & CD as well as 3 others? Not that we're going to do this but just wanted to understand.

TA
watmum

Post by watmum »

I await the response to your question with interest Hertsdad.

Just to complicate matters a little bit for you (sorry) Three years a go my daughter was offered Ricky first time around ( and was 4th on the parmiter's list) A friend was also offered Ricky first time around (and was 8th on parmiters)

We always assumed that Ricky was "easier" to get in academically than Parmiters (so to speak), but judging by toony's comments perhaps this is not the case.

My experiences were two and three years ago, so perhaps this is relevant

Good luck to you and your child..
watdad

Post by watdad »

my boy is 24th at parmiters & 15th at Ricky so doesn't add up!

Also Parmiters has four pupils in every position so 20th is actual 80th if that makes sense......
toony

Post by toony »

I'm wondering if I heard the admissions woman wrong at Ricky, or if she had the wrong info. I still haven't received my letter from Ricky so who knows!
Does anyone know how the list moves at Ricky? What has it gone down to in the past?
watdad

Post by watdad »

You might be right…..

Rick have sorted their list ie only one in each position. Parmiters hold four in each position. Assuming their must be a number o kids with the same school the next filter is distance.

So you are 80th at Parmiters and 41st at Ricky not unreasonable. Why Parmiters hold four in a position is beyond me, perhaps someone can explain how this works?
watmum

Post by watmum »

my understanding is that each child that holds the same position at parmiters achieved the same score in the test so they "tied" for a place. Once it comes to their turn to be ooffered a CI place then they take each child's address in proximity to the school as the deciding factor, if that makes sense.

Therefore, taking my child as an example who was 3rd along with four other children who all attained the same test score. When we reached the top of the list we were allocated the second place to come up because someone lived 0.3 metres (or something like that) closer than us.
hertsdad

Post by hertsdad »

I still haven't been able to get through to Ricky to get the answer to the original question, but we've since found out placing for Clement Danes - 89th! Even accounting for the 4 per place at Parmiters that still makes him lower on the CD list than Parmiters, which does seem unlikely. Either way, it does look like he crashed and burned in the test, and the continued interest list is almost not worth worrying about. :(

One thought, though: Do these numberings include everyone who took the test for that school, including those who have been offered places (a) at that school, and (b) at other schools? Or is it just those that are left? If the former, then there is going to be a fair chunk to drop off the list once the first round of acceptances go through. I guess I'm clutching at straws but it would be interesting to know how it all works.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now