SW Herts test - early preparation (Y4)

Eleven Plus (11+) in South West Hertfordshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
spaghetti7

SW Herts test - early preparation (Y4)

Post by spaghetti7 »

DD is in Y4 and we are thinking of her sitting the SW Herts consortium test in Y6. Can anyone advise me on what sort of things I could do to get her started? Obviously this is very early!

What books did you use to help in both Y4 and 5?
Are there any online/bought tests we could work towards and try out (next year probably).
How do I find out details of the practise tests children are sitting in preparation for the real test? Is it worth sitting these tests?

Any help would be greatly appreciated :)
Daogroupie

Re: SW Herts test - early preparation (Y4)

Post by Daogroupie »

Actually, in my opinion, Y4 is the perfect time to start when the pressure is off and you have time to study topics in English and Maths.

50% of the exam is English CEM so it important to start with that.

Go into Smiths or Waterstones and find a CGP CEM ten minute book or buy next day delivery on the forum shop here.

You can also pick up books second hand on ebay.

In my opinion it would be helpful to sit the Sutton mock test in May/June of Y5. The format is very close to SW Herts and it will help to expose key weaknesses. DG
spaghetti7

Post by spaghetti7 »

Thank you! This is a great information (and nice to know I'm not being too keen!). I will look into the short timed style books right away.
Afnankhan

Post by Afnankhan »

Daogroupie wrote:Actually, in my opinion, Y4 is the perfect time to start when the pressure is off and you have time to study topics in English and Maths.

Go into Smiths or Waterstones and find a CGP CEM ten minute book or buy next day delivery on the forum shop here.

In my opinion it would be helpful to sit the Sutton mock test in May/June of Y5. The format is very close to SW Herts and it will help to expose key weaknesses. DG
Very helpful information.
Sutton z 11 plus provider coz I googled and it came up as grammar school , can u kindly guide further as I m preparing my DC for next yr .

Regards
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

The PTA of Sutton runs mocks in May/June every year and this year for the first time they did some at the end of the Summer.

The Y5 bookings open in January and this year all three thousand slots sold out in 3 days.

If you do a search on here for Sutton mocks you will find lots of posts on it.

For the SW Herts Maths papers there are some great KS2 Maths guides. Do a search in the forum shop for this. S&S do a really good one and the forum do a really good Maths dictionary. DG
Afnankhan

Post by Afnankhan »

Daogroupie wrote:The PTA of Sutton runs mocks in May/June every year and this year for the first time they did some at the end of the Summer.

The Y5 bookings open in January and this year all three thousand slots sold out in 3 days.

If you do a search on here for Sutton mocks you will find lots of posts on it.

For the SW Herts Maths papers there are some great KS2 Maths guides. Do a search in the forum shop for this. S&S do a really good one and the forum do a really good Maths dictionary. DG
Thank you so much DG.I managed to find Sutton mocks.
I must say that you r great, I always found ur posts very helpful and ur information is quite upto date.

There are quite few people like you who r intentionally and unintentionally helping quite big number of parents and to be be honest it’s quite difficult.

Hats off to u guys and a Massive thanks for all ur efforts.

Regards
ttpp

Post by ttpp »

Daogroupie wrote:Actually, in my opinion, Y4 is the perfect time to start when the pressure is off and you have time to study topics in English and Maths.

The VR for SWHerts is now changed to GL style, Please check their website :)