Watford Girls vs St Helens

Eleven Plus (11+) in South West Hertfordshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Hera

Re: Watford Girls vs St Helens

Post by Hera »

It is good to hear that the SENCO provision has improved. My experience was from my current year 10 when she joined and feedback from other parents in her class, not my year 7, so so I am happily out of date as that was the only real criticism that I had of the school. I know quite a few children who have ended up at St Helen's and Merchant Taylors as they didn't got a place at Watford Boys or Girls. Good luck, hope you get a place at the WGGS and have the choice.
dreams

Post by dreams »

Such an offensive comparison of partially and fully selective schools and it’s wrong on so many levels.

We live in Pinner and at some point there was a group of girls wearing StHelens’ school uniform and “having fun” after the lessons in Pinner park.
Watching them just confirmed my idea that the school alone can’t do much in terms of keeping young curious minds on the right path.

I personally know children who didn’t get in to partially selective but got places in fully selective state and independent schools. The child who got in the worst case scenario school and changed the school for Sixth form getting a place in a fully selective, the one that respects only As.

Neither school, money or any sort of exam can guarantee that your child will be in the perfect environment.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

streathammum wrote:
Jean.Brodie wrote:I know parents at other SW Herts schools who chose partially selective schools only when their kids couldn't get in to fully selctive ones. They are concerned now about the behaviour of some of the kids at those schools and the impact of not having uniformly high academic/career expectations.

What a sneery post. Plenty of non-academic children are well-behaved and have high career aspirations. Plenty of very bright children can be horrors.
And furthermore, J.B, you do realise that to make the whole world go round, we do actually need people to fulfil a full range of roles. I'm sure most investment bankers and neurosurgeons would soon start moaning if they had to wait in too long a queue in Waitrose, or their bins didn't get emptied on time.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Please remember the forum rule: " 1. Name calling, insults and “flaming” (provocative or hostile posting) are not permitted. Threads that descend into a flame war may be locked or removed temporarily or permanently from the Forum. "

Play nicely and stick to the topic ..

Middlesexmum

Post by Middlesexmum »

Have you made a decision asv?
asv

Post by asv »

Middlesexmum wrote:Have you made a decision asv?
Hello Middlesexmum

Yes, we chose Watford Girls and declined St Helens offer.

We need to work out the journey and commuting to school and planning to run multiple practice trips during summer break, hopefully DD will set quickly. I have been on that route myself to check and seen many girls travelling which is also assuring.

Once again, thank you such for all your feedback and guidance.

Kind regards
Middlesexmum

Post by Middlesexmum »

Good choice! They are both great schools but you will save a lot of money this way! :) I'm sure your dd will love it, mine is very happy.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now