Mock exams

Eleven Plus (11+) in South West Hertfordshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

saffronLondon

Mock exams

Post by saffronLondon »

Hi
Just wondering if the rankings in mock exams reflect the actual exam scenarios. From past experience, have people found that their DC has passed if in mocks, they were placed near the top 10%?
I ask because my DS has done well in Susan Daughtrey mocks but I feel the actual exam(especially QE) will be much harder!
PerpetualStudent

Re: Mock exams

Post by PerpetualStudent »

Hi saffronlondon,

If you read around the forum you will find the answer is ‘no, mocks do not reflect actual results’. There are several reasons: 1) it’s not the same test. It may be harder or it may be easier. 2) the cohort sitting the mock is not the same cohort as sits the actual 11+ exam. Some of the south London mocks seem to have really large numbers sitting so can give parents a better idea of where their DC fits in the bigger picture but this is not definitive.

The advantage of sitting a mock is the familiarity it gives of the exam scenario. It also helps to identify particular weak areas or poor exam technique. Then the DC has the chance to fix these problem areas. Hone exam technique. Sometimes DC who do really well in mocks sit back and relax thinking they have it made. See some of the threads for stories of DC who did not do so well in the real thing having aced their mocks.

Even if others come back with stories of how their DC did the same mock as your DC and scored brilliantly in the QE exam this really gives you no certainty. It is more reassuring when your DC does well in a mock than if they are in the lower percentiles but it doesn’t mean your DC will score as well in the actual test compared to the larger cohort of highly prepared DCs.

PS
saffronLondon

Re: Mock exams

Post by saffronLondon »

Appreciate the feedback PS