Herts results anomaly?

Eleven Plus (11+) in South West Hertfordshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
duffygc

Herts results anomaly?

Post by duffygc »

Hi all,

Some friends of mine have all had unexpectedly low scores in the Herts 11+ this year. Has anyone else come across this please?

Many thanks
Emlogh

Re: Herts results anomaly?

Post by Emlogh »

See https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum ... 18&t=59309" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Did they know that the format of the VR paper had changed from English CEM to GL VR.

Quite a difference in topics. DG
11plussed.out

Post by 11plussed.out »

We did some prep covering GL maths and GL VR. Even completed some of the GL practice papers and sat a SW Herts style mock.

Our main focus however was CEM and Slough consortium so didn't invest as much time in GL overall. Score not as high as expected for SW Herts but qualified for St Bernard's with over 111.

A case of win some lose some? DS got up to speed with CEM but he may have fallen into the traps on the GL paper.
Lenazayka75

Post by Lenazayka75 »

I’ ve prepared my DS for GL. At the last moment applied to Ilford Grammar which uses CEM and the boy passed with a good score. However, DC failed QE and Latymer, just a bad joke.

SW Consortium unclear respond on parents’ enquires about results, I saw some of them on FB groups.

Even if you decide to apply for a re-marking, Consortium say “ thank you” and “please wait fo 5-10 working days ( informing that results most likely will be ready after 31st October). :(
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

You can still put a SW Herts school first on your caf form and Ilford grammar second and you will get Ilford and be on the waiting list for your SW Herts school.

I would recommend you put Latymer first if you are in catchment as almost half of those in the top 500 are out of catchment so lots of higher ranks will be released.

Lower scores in the state grammars translate to higher scores in the private schools as the demand is not so great.

I know of students with scores in the 30s in English and Maths at the state grammars getting straight into Habs and St Albans and MT.

For the schools the move from CEM to GL is simply a change of provider and they do not really appreciate the change in format.

They do have different topics but there are topics that are the same in both formats.

It is great that you were able to sit exams for different schools free of charge and give your ds more opportunity to do well.

Your last minute decision to sit another school has served you well and could well turn out to be the school he goes to for seven years. It was certainly an excellent move for you. DG
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Daogroupie wrote:You can still put a SW Herts school first on your caf form and Ilford grammar second and you will get Ilford and be on the waiting list for your SW Herts school.

I would recommend you put Latymer first if you are in catchment as almost half of those in the top 500 are out of catchment so lots of higher ranks will be released.

Lower scores in the state grammars translate to higher scores in the private schools as the demand is not so great.

I know of students with scores in the 30s in English and Maths at the state grammars getting straight into Habs and St Albans and MT.

For the schools the move from CEM to GL is simply a change of provider and they do not really appreciate the change in format.

They do have different topics but there are topics that are the same in both formats.

It is great that you were able to sit exams for different schools free of charge and give your ds more opportunity to do well.

Your last minute decision to sit another school has served you well and could well turn out to be the school he goes to for seven years. It was certainly an excellent move for you. DG
Making the assumption that they are actually within the Common Catchment Area for the Redbridge grammars, of course.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
11plussed.out

Post by 11plussed.out »

Lenazayka75 wrote:I’ ve prepared my DS for GL. At the last moment applied to Ilford Grammar which uses CEM and the boy passed with a good score. However, DC failed QE and Latymer, just a bad joke.

SW Consortium unclear respond on parents’ enquires about results, I saw some of them on FB groups.

Even if you decide to apply for a re-marking, Consortium say “ thank you” and “please wait fo 5-10 working days ( informing that results most likely will be ready after 31st October). :(

Well done to your DS on his score for Ilford Grammar.

At least you and I will leave this process with a good required score for one school at least.

I thought the GL format would be more straightforward and easier for my DS compared to CEM with their different timed sections where he was previously running out of time, but who knows how it all works out in the end.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now