Watford girls home schooling provision

Eleven Plus (11+) in South West Hertfordshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
duopop

Watford girls home schooling provision

Post by duopop »

Good afternoon,

I was wondering if anyone with a daughter at WGGS could clarify what sort of home schooling provision they are getting at the current time. Is it all work to follow independently or are they providing any virtual classes/ interactive sessions. How often is their work being corrected? It's a great school so I was wondering how they are coping during the current times. it is on the list of considerations of schools for us.

thank you
Middlesexmum

Re: Watford girls home schooling provision

Post by Middlesexmum »

I have two dds at the school - Years 12 and 8.

It's a great school and I have been very happy so far. However I am disappointed that NO remote teaching has been provided and there are no plans to do so.

Today's newsletter says it is 'impossible' to provide virtual teaching that meets the need of every child.

I have heard of other state schools teaching remotely.
duopop

Post by duopop »

Thank you Middlesexmum,

it is disappointing that there is no virtual teaching. Are the teachers regularly marking and providing feedback on work set? Are they following the normal timetable with independent tasks?

any feedback would be useful - thanks again.
Middlesexmum

Post by Middlesexmum »

I think my Year 12 is getting work marked.

With my Year 8 it's difficult to tell as she doesn't want me to get involved and all communication is between teachers and students. I know the Art teacher said she is not providing any individual feedback.

Other subjects eg Maths and Science, I know they have been self-marking and submitting their marks to teachers.
Hera

Post by Hera »

My year 11 isn't getting anything academic. Some other local schools are providing A-Level bridging work. My year 8 is doing lots of posters, leaflets, projects etc (lazy teaching work) amongst sheets, tests, online resources. I think she is self marking some things and getting feedback from some subjects. OP are you deciding on schools for next year? I am not sure I would base a decision on how schools have dealt with the current situation? Some schools, like Rickmansworth, for example had systems in place in their day to day teaching that has enabled them to better manage the school closures. I am sure that it is an area all schools will be addressing in the aftermaths of this.