Is this the right region for those staying in Wembley?

Eleven Plus (11+) in South West Hertfordshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

QUEENMA

Is this the right region for those staying in Wembley?

Post by QUEENMA »

Hi
Asking for a friend who stays in Wembley and is new to the grammar schools concept. They are in the HA0 postcode- Brent Council. Which grammar schools could his daughter apply to ? Unfortunately not getting much info on Brent Council Website - so appears no grammar schools in Brent ? All help will be much appreciated!
Thanks in advance guys.
warm regards
jaspreetp

Re: Is this the right region for those staying in Wembley?

Post by jaspreetp »

As per my experience Harrow, Brent are worst counties wrt Grammar schools to live in. The only and best option is to move out... Based on what i have seen
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

there are plenty of counties around the UK that do not have grammar schools, however they have good all ability schools instead and some people move to these because that is what they want for their children.

They may have one child who could get into the GS but feel that another child or other children may not and they want the best for both of their children

QUEENMA does your friend have children coming up to 11? Have they looked at the schools locally available?
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

According to Ofsted there are 19 good or better schools to choose from in Brent.

https://reports.ofsted.gov.uk/search?q= ... _1_types=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Wembley High Technology College near Northwick Park Hospital is also Ofsted Outstanding, according to its most recent report in 2018 (and previous ones).

I'd give Michaela a swerve, personally, from what I've read about it, but obviously some people think its style is the bee's knees.

Could they perhaps think about what makes the LB Brent a desirable place to live and does that not include its schools? Or are they not so enamoured of the place and are looking to move anyway?
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
KS10

Post by KS10 »

Salvatorian College is on its way up after a tricky time.
loobylou

Post by loobylou »

Also living in a borough does not mean you can only apply to schools in that borough. Your nearest school could easily be in a different borough if you were near a border. So depending on where in the borough they live there may be schools in Harrow, Barnet, Kensington or Ealing (and maybe others; my Brent knowledge is limited) that would be close enough to apply to.
KS10

Post by KS10 »

We live in Harrow and my two went to Parmiter’s on the school bus. There were people from Wembley too but they had to get to Kenton or Harrow-on-the-Hill to get the school bus. You are out of catchment / county though so the scores will be higher to get in.
KS10

Post by KS10 »

Just looking at HA0 - Alperton would make it quite a long journey. Wembley Central and North Wembley are close to Kenton. Sudbury Hill is close to Harrow-on-the-Hill. Or you could get the fast train to Watford Junction (7 mins from Harrow & Wealdstone) and then take a bus.
KS10

Post by KS10 »

St Clement Danes might be an option too.

These are partially selective and not grammar schools.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now