SWH 2021 entry results

Eleven Plus (11+) in South West Hertfordshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
cem

Re: SWH 2021 entry results

Post by cem »

Thank you so much for time and reply Spanner very helpful information.
Sciencegeek

Post by Sciencegeek »

DD got 227 but this won't be enough for Parmiters as we are outside catchment. I know the scores are standardised but was expecting higher based on DD getting at least 90% on the practice papers and DD being born end of Feb. Anyone happy to share their DD's score and how they performed in the practice papers? I have another DD (born March) who might sit the exam in 3 years, so wanted to understand what we need to aim for.
appletree008

Post by appletree008 »

A music score of 42, would it be safe to get a place at Parmiters?
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Catchment or non catchment? DG
StAlbansMum33

Post by StAlbansMum33 »

Sciencegeek wrote:DD got 227 but this won't be enough for Parmiters as we are outside catchment. I know the scores are standardised but was expecting higher based on DD getting at least 90% on the practice papers and DD being born end of Feb. Anyone happy to share their DD's score and how they performed in the practice papers? I have another DD (born March) who might sit the exam in 3 years, so wanted to understand what we need to aim for.
My Oct born DD also was scoring 90%+ in practice papers so her score of 212 was a bit of a surprise. My Apr born older child scored 229 in 2018 and I would say they performed very similarly during preparation. I guess sometimes you just have a bad day.

There's already been some very useful discussion on this board (led by Spanner) on how average scores went down by some 10 points last year following the introduction of GL format for VR. I can only hope they will stay similarly low in 2021. I would also suggest that with lots of children probably attaining very similar scores, differentiation needs to be established, so errors cost candidates dearly in this test - maybe as much as 5-6 points per mistake. This would mean even comparatively high-performing children come out with what appear to be 'lowish' marks. It all comes down to where the cut-off will fall in March, and for priority postcode candidates in the 210-220 region it's an agonising wait.
dunda2010

Post by dunda2010 »

My son scored 249 in the exam and we would have been going for Parmiters if he had not achieved a place at Dame Alice Owens. He was achieving scores around 95% + in his mocks. We spent a lot of time going over the importance of double-checking answers which raised his pass marks from low 90's to high 90's/100%. We practised sitting the 2 papers (maths/VR) back to back as well a lot.

We are in catchment too.
Sciencegeek

Post by Sciencegeek »

Thank you StAlbansMum33 and dunda2010 for sharing your DDs practice paper scores. Very useful indeed! Yes StAlbansMum33, waiting till March to find out is really agonising. Fingers crossed that all the children who worked hard end up somewhere they are happy with.
soumyadineshb

Post by soumyadineshb »

My child scores 219. I am planning to ask for remarking as my DC said that he had only doubt about just couple of questions in both Maths and VR. He is Jan born. But the score he got feels much lower than what he expected.

Does any one know of any history of the score going lower after remark? For this to happen, the marking machine should mark a wrong answer as correct.

Any suggestions or advice please? Obviously, I don't want the score to go any lower as the current score is border line.

Thanks in advance.
spanner

Post by spanner »

soumyadineshb wrote:My child scores 219. I am planning to ask for remarking as my DC said that he had only doubt about just couple of questions in both Maths and VR. He is Jan born. But the score he got feels much lower than what he expected.

Does any one know of any history of the score going lower after remark? For this to happen, the marking machine should mark a wrong answer as correct.

Any suggestions or advice please? Obviously, I don't want the score to go any lower as the current score is border line.

Thanks in advance.
We asked for a re-mark last year and the result came back exactly the same. I think it's highly unlikely that you would get marked down. I think the only chance of the score changing is if your son marked an answer too faintly for the computer to pick up.
However, you may want to consider what you want to achieve. We were in the position where we were very safe for our second choice and we thought we were miles off our first, so we had nothing to lose. I would be incredibly surprised if you didn't get Parmiter's with score of 219.
As others have discussed, I think every small mistake costs dear on the standardised score so a very high percentage may not result in as high a score as you might expect. It's very hard to tell as we don't know exactly how they relate.
soumyadineshb

Post by soumyadineshb »

spanner wrote:
soumyadineshb wrote:My child scores 219. I am planning to ask for remarking as my DC said that he had only doubt about just couple of questions in both Maths and VR. He is Jan born. But the score he got feels much lower than what he expected.

Thanks in advance.
We asked for a re-mark last year and the result came back exactly the same. I think it's highly unlikely that you would get marked down. I think the only chance of the score changing is if your son marked an answer too faintly for the computer to pick up.
However, you may want to consider what you want to achieve. We were in the position where we were very safe for our second choice and we thought we were miles off our first, so we had nothing to lose. I would be incredibly surprised if you didn't get Parmiter's with score of 219.
As others have discussed, I think every small mistake costs dear on the standardised score so a very high percentage may not result in as high a score as you might expect. It's very hard to tell as we don't know exactly how they relate.
Thank you spanner,
As always you have given good insight/direction in your post. Thank you