Reviews of Pinner High School

Eleven Plus (11+) in South West Hertfordshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Ash1711

Reviews of Pinner High School

Post by Ash1711 »

I am new to the forum and its my first child.

I want to understand how does a school like Pinner High compare to a grammar school? we are in the catchment of Pinner high but dont know if its worth moving if our son gets a place in a grammar later?
scary mum

Re: Reviews of Pinner High School

Post by scary mum »

School results are pretty much dependent on their intake for results, so a school which selects children who do well in exams at 10 tends to get good GCSE results. The more selective the better the results. It's not usually some magic that happens as soon as a child walks in the doors. If you are looking at other schools look at their attitude to discipline, range of subjects available at GCSE & A level, supporting pupils, giving them work to stretch them etc etc. These things will make a difference.
Ings will make a difference, grammar or not
scary mum
Ash1711

Post by Ash1711 »

Thank you for your response. Since we are new to this structure, we are just trying to understand how academically the closest school to us compares to grammar schools

https://www.locrating.com/schools-Pinne ... 42864.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

unfortunately you aren't comparing like with like. It might help if you look at how the top pupils fare as they will be more similar to those at grammar schools (although still not comparable to grammar schools that only admit on score).
I see it had an outstanding OFSTED in 2019, which is a good start. It is a fairly new school which makes it hard to compare with others. To be honest if I had an oustanding local school I probably wouldn't bother with applying for grammar schools, but it depends what is important to you & your family.
scary mum
7Wonders

Post by 7Wonders »

We are not far from Pinner High, but not close enough to get in. I know a few families with children there and everyone is incredibly positive about it. With such a good school on your doorstep then I'd very much question whether relocating just for a grammar school is worth it. If your child is bright enough to apply to a grammar school, then I'd suggest they're bright enough to do well at a good comprehensive school, and at the moment, that's what Pinner High seems to offer.