St Clement Danes vs Hershel Grammar School

Eleven Plus (11+) in South West Hertfordshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Iplipl

St Clement Danes vs Hershel Grammar School

Post by Iplipl »

Dear Members

I have joined this forum as my Son was preparing for 11+ Grammar School. My Son got offered place at St Clement Danes School of Rickmansworth and we are pleased with that. We have also received email from Herschel Grammar School Slough. We are hoping that DS will be offered a place as our WL is 13. Apparently we found out that St Clement Danes School is not Grammar School. Distance wise i don't think it will make difference as both are a bit far.

Based on your experience, can you please share views for both the school.

Regards

KR
scary mum

Re: St Clement Danes vs Hershel Grammar School

Post by scary mum »

Where are you? Which is the easiest journey? Both are good schools. Is there a particular sport that one does & not the other?
scary mum
Iplipl

Post by Iplipl »

scary mum wrote:Where are you? Which is the easiest journey? Both are good schools. Is there a particular sport that one does & not the other?
Dear Scary mum, thanks for your reply. We live in Kenton Harrow. I do not know too much about sport which one has and other don't. KR
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

Maybe you should do a bit of research before you are in a position of having to choose where your child spends the next 7 years? I know it's really difficult not being able to visit, but you can do some on line research. I would imagine Rickmansworth is easier to get to than Slough. I sometimes do more or less that journey in reverse & in normal times it's terrible.
scary mum
KS10

Post by KS10 »

Iplipl, did you check out hamscd’s posts?
Sunshine08

Post by Sunshine08 »

My son is at SCD in year 9 and is really happy. He was at a prep school previously and he believes a lot of the teaching is better at SCD. He chose this school over Watford grammar as he felt it was better suited to his interests and hubby and I also saw it as a better fit. I can’t comment on the other school you have an offer at but we are happy with the teaching, the fact that the school tries to get the children to work to their potential.
Iplipl

Post by Iplipl »

Sunshine08 wrote:My son is at SCD in year 9 and is really happy. He was at a prep school previously and he believes a lot of the teaching is better at SCD. He chose this school over Watford grammar as he felt it was better suited to his interests and hubby and I also saw it as a better fit. I can’t comment on the other school you have an offer at but we are happy with the teaching, the fact that the school tries to get the children to work to their potential.
Thanks Sunshine08 for your comments. This is really helpful.
mad?

Post by mad? »

In would totally go for SCD over Herschel if I lived in Kenton, Harrow. In fact I would choose any school over a commuting to Slough from there. SCD is a great school, I wish we had lived near enough for it to be an option.
mad?
Iplipl

Post by Iplipl »

KS10 wrote:Iplipl, did you check out hamscd’s posts?
Hi KS10, yes i gone through all the post of hamscd yesterday. Thanks for your feedback.
loopylala

Post by loopylala »

Iplipl wrote:Based on your experience, can you please share views for both the school.
I doubt many will be in a position to comment on both of these schools.

Perhaps reconsider why you placed these schools on the CAF and the order that you placed them in. Consider what it was about the two schools that stood out to you when researching them. Only you will be able to identify which school is best suited to your DC.

I would say that it would be wise to consider the journey to each of these schools. Consider what time your DC will need to get up in the morning and the time they will return in the evening. Also, consider how reliable transport will be to both of these schools, will you be able to do the school run if there are transport issues. Will you be able to attend parents' consultations and ad-hoc meetings at the school as and when required? Does your DC play an instrument or participate in school sports, if so how will they be able to attend practice sessions and other related events as a result of this?
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now