What Areas in SW Hertfordshire To Live For Selective Schs?

Eleven Plus (11+) in South West Hertfordshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

ToadMum

Re: What Areas in SW Hertfordshire To Live For Selective Sch

Post by ToadMum »

BucksorHert? wrote:I do understand that the 22 places are for those closest to the school; two streets which I went to see last week.

The 64 academic places I suppose will be in order of highest scores. I was wondering how ties are broken but it's not too important. I was just asking for understanding.

I wonder if the Kings Langley area gives a better chance of getting into a selective school. Watford Grammars and Parmiter's I think. Compared to just DAO which will be Potters Bar and Welwyn Garden City ?

This site has been really helpful giving me insight to how the selection works and where. I'm very grateful to you all.

Re tie-breaks, how ties are resolved must be stated in each school's admissions policy- and lo and behold:

Candidates will be ranked in the order of their total combined marks with ranked position 1 equating to the highest combined mark and places will be then be offered in rank order. If two or more children have the same total combined mark then the Verbal Reasoning mark will take precedence over the English mark which will take precedence over the Mathematics mark.

and

If a tie-break is needed between children who are equally qualified within any particular priority criterion, the place will be offered to the child whose permanent home address is closest to the School.

Random Allocation

In the event that two or more applicants have the identical distance from home to School then each name will be issued a number and drawn randomly, with the first name drawn taking priority. This will be supervised by a person who is wholly independent of the school.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
solimum

Post by solimum »

Do you even have any children yet? You might of course find that should they appear they might not be "selected" and end up in the same schools as their neighbours, or they might have special needs or talents which necessitate regular travel to other places for which decent public transport is a must. Yes it is sensible to think ahead, but the problem with "selective" areas is that by definition most of the local children are not selected, however intensively tutored they might be.
BucksorHert?

Post by BucksorHert? »

solimum wrote:Do you even have any children yet? You might of course find that should they appear they might not be "selected" and end up in the same schools as their neighbours, or they might have special needs or talents which necessitate regular travel to other places for which decent public transport is a must. Yes it is sensible to think ahead, but the problem with "selective" areas is that by definition most of the local children are not selected, however intensively tutored they might be.
I made it clear with my first post what our situation is. I appreciate this might be too much forward thinking for you so ignore this thread and attend to those who's questions satisfy your timeline. Ofcourse there're many criteria to be considered when moving so I have posted on this site regarding selective schools. It won't make sense to post asking about which areas in Bucks and Herts have ethnic fruit and veg markets as that is not the purpose of this site nor is it for exceptional musical abilities, or to ask how many embryos to transfer for a higher chance of a viable life birth etc. You've planned/unplanned your family in the best way you can so please ignore my thread and let me do mine.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

BucksorHert? wrote:
solimum wrote:Do you even have any children yet? You might of course find that should they appear they might not be "selected" and end up in the same schools as their neighbours, or they might have special needs or talents which necessitate regular travel to other places for which decent public transport is a must. Yes it is sensible to think ahead, but the problem with "selective" areas is that by definition most of the local children are not selected, however intensively tutored they might be.
I made it clear with my first post what our situation is. I appreciate this might be too much forward thinking for you so ignore this thread and attend to those who's questions satisfy your timeline. Ofcourse there're many criteria to be considered when moving so I have posted on this site regarding selective schools. It won't make sense to post asking about which areas in Bucks and Herts have ethnic fruit and veg markets as that is not the purpose of this site nor is it for exceptional musical abilities, or to ask how many embryos to transfer for a higher chance of a viable life birth etc. You've planned/unplanned your family in the best way you can so please ignore my thread and let me do mine.
BucksorHert - Solimum is a longstanding and helpful member of the forum who is making a very valid point, indeed several of us also made similar - that is :you simply can't plan in this detail for something that might or might not happen in over 11 years time, particularly when there are so many factors involved:

consider: what the child is like and if you have more than one child, how you balance their joint needs simply because school A is marvellous for first child, it may leave nothing suitable for child B who has different needs which are more difficult to cater for. These matters can be even worse if they happen to be twins (IVF or not) - as parents desperately balance the wishes and disappointments of each.

You see, we have seen it all on this forum - there have even been threads about healthy cooking, fruit and veg markets and a great deal about musical ability.
streathammum

Post by streathammum »

BucksorHert? wrote:You've planned/unplanned your family in the best way you can so please ignore my thread and let me do mine.
You are trying to plan something you simply can't. If you had framed your original question along the lines of "if I have an academic child, where might there be good schools for us in a decade or two's time?" you might have got a more helpful response. Your assumption that you will have a child who will definitely be eligible for selective school is, to be honest, quite unattractive as well as unrealistic and not likely to garner you a lot of help.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now