Parmiter's Sibling rule - 2009 entry

Eleven Plus (11+) in South West Hertfordshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Christie

Sibling rule

Post by Christie »

I have only just found this forum so "hi" to everyone hoping for good news on March 2nd!

Marylou wrote:
The rule essentially discriminates against families with larger age gap.
Parmiter's used to have a "Split Sibling" rule which meant that if a child had a sibling that had gone right through the school and left they would still be entitled to a place. Sadly they have had to drop this rule ( along with some of their other admission criteria). I have two older children who both went to Parmiter's but have now left so my youngest daughter had to sit the entrance test and we are now waiting for the results.
It just seems unfair that she may not get the chance to go to the same school as her brother and sister simply because we have a large age gap.

tense

Post by tense »

Welcome Christie! Yes that does seem unfair to your family - I hope your DD is successful in getting a place.

I noticed on the Parmiter's website they have published the admissions criteria for entry in 2010. I think it's the same as for this year. But I assume these are provisonal until a certain date. Does anyone (WP?!) know when this might be please?
WP

Post by WP »

tense wrote:I noticed on the Parmiter's website they have published the admissions criteria for entry in 2010. I think it's the same as for this year. But I assume these are provisonal until a certain date. Does anyone (WP?!) know when this might be please?
You rang?

It's the usual annual cycle: consultation on draft arrangements before 1 March, finalized arrangements by 15 April. Of course they could be objected to after that, but the recently revised Admissions Code no longer has the wording criticising sibling criteria, so the danger there is reduced.
WP

Re: Sibling rule

Post by WP »

Welcome to the forum, Christie.
Christie wrote:Parmiter's used to have a "Split Sibling" rule which meant that if a child had a sibling that had gone right through the school and left they would still be entitled to a place. Sadly they have had to drop this rule ( along with some of their other admission criteria). I have two older children who both went to Parmiter's but have now left so my youngest daughter had to sit the entrance test and we are now waiting for the results.
It just seems unfair that she may not get the chance to go to the same school as her brother and sister simply because we have a large age gap.
Yes, giving priority to siblings of past pupils was outlawed across the country in February 2007. That even includes older siblings in their final year, who would leave before the younger sibling would start.
tense

Post by tense »

Thanks WP!
Christie

Post by Christie »

Best of luck to anyone else waiting for news on March 2nd.
Hope everyone gets good news!
Christie

Post by Christie »

Sophie didn't get into Parmiter's
She is so far down the list that only a major epidemic of something completely fatal to Hertfordshire year 6 children will get her a place.
We have got our second choice - which I am very happy with .
toony

Post by toony »

Sorry to hear that - presumably you got a school in St Albans as a second choice. At least there are lots of good (non selective) schools in St Albans!
Christie

Post by Christie »

Yes, Toony, she's got a place at Stags.
May well turn out to be a better school for her in the long run.