Waiting lists for Watford consortium

Eleven Plus (11+) in South West Hertfordshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

scared mum

Waiting lists for Watford consortium

Post by scared mum »

Hi all,

I'm sure that many of you are as nervous as i am now that March 3rd is almost here!!

In order to have all the available info to hand when DD opens her letter next week, i was wondering if anyone could tell me how far down the waiting lists they went last year and how long it took until places were offered.

Earlier in the Hertfordshire forum it says that in 2006 the pupil who was third on the waiting list at Parmitars was offered a place in September! It does say, however, that this was worse than in previous years.

Does anyone have this information for 2007? I would particularly appreciate information on the waiting lists for Watford Girls and for Parmitars.

Thank you!!
toony

waiting lists

Post by toony »

Hi

I work in year 6.

In 2006 none of our children got places on the waiting list. Last year 2 did. One was I believe number 3, he got one after about 2/3 weeks. The other got one in July. I'm not sure what number he was, sorry.

However as these 2 years were so different I guess there is no point in pondering on it too much!

I believe there are several children at each position on the waiting list, so you could be number 3 on academic and number 10 on distance, etc.

From what I can gather there is more movement on the Parmiters list as children put that as second choice after the Grammar; few people put the Grammar anywhere other than first unless they are just using it to fill a space on the form - putting it last with no hope of getting it.
tense

Post by tense »

I'm wondering this too!

And how do you know where you are on the list - at least for the first few weeks? After all, I could phone & ask to go on the list next Tuesday morning, but I'm sure dozens of people would do the same. They can hardly give you a number straight away & there's no point ringing the school all the time to check! There there can't possibly be any real movement until after all the acceptances / declines are back in.

That said, I know of a girl last year who was 5th on the list for WGs and got in on the first refresh after a couple of weeks.

And I thought this time next week the agony would be over!

x
watmum

Post by watmum »

We were offered a place at Parmiters after my daughter being number 3 on the list (this effectively means that there were 12 children above us as there averages out to be 4 children per place) The offer came in at the end of April. I am not sure how far down the list places were offered after that. In addition, I did telephone approx. fortnightly, and on every occasion the admissions lady was courteous and kind and told me the updated list position concerning my daughter.
scared mum

Post by scared mum »

Thank you so much tense, tooney and watmum, your answers are very helpful, i had no idea that there was more than one applicant for each waiting list place, but it's important to know these things!

I much prefered parmitar's to Watford Girls when i looked round, especially because of the presentation of the girls and because i have a son in Year 4 and would love them to go together. However DD knows some girls who are applying to WG and it is a much shorter journey so i begrudgingly put it as the first choice (although so tempted to change it without her knowledge!).

Either school would be a godsend but i'm very worried about whether i should accept my third choice rather than hedge my bets on a waiting list place, with the information above, it would seem that being 10 or 11 on the waiting list would mean 30 or so girls being before DD? So stressful! Can't wait for this to be over!

Thanks again, any other information would be great!
WP

Post by WP »

scared mum wrote:Either school would be a godsend but i'm very worried about whether i should accept my third choice rather than hedge my bets on a waiting list place, with the information above, it would seem that being 10 or 11 on the waiting list would mean 30 or so girls being before DD?
It's not an either/or choice. You must accept the place you're offered unless you want to opt out of the state system, but it doesn't stop you accepting a later offer from the waiting list of a higher-ranked school. You risk nothing by going on the waiting lists for your higher ranked schools as well. Being on a waiting list for a school doesn't preclude an appeal either.
tense

Post by tense »

It's going to be even harder this year with less academic places available :cry:

Still, if you live close to WGS maybe you'll get in on proximity if not the test?

I too am hoping for Parmiter's (also have a younger son)!
watmum

Post by watmum »

I echo the comments made by scaredmum, you must accept your offer if it is one of your preferences, and then cross your fingers.
I know several children who received waiting list places for Parmiter's at the end of July and two who got in on the first week of term! (and yes, had to sell all the unifrom which they had purchased for the school that they thought their son was going to attend!)
scared mum

Post by scared mum »

THanks so much for your comments, can i just check...

You can accept an offer for your 3rd choice and stay on a waiting list for your second or your first choices? (i presumed that if you accept a place at one school then you were giving up any other schools)

Also, do you find out about the waiting list from the LEA letter or do you contact the schools in question and request a place on the waiting list?

Sorry if i seem to be confused, all new to me!
WP

Post by WP »

scared mum wrote:THanks so much for your comments, can i just check...

You can accept an offer for your 3rd choice and stay on a waiting list for your second or your first choices? (i presumed that if you accept a place at one school then you were giving up any other schools)

Also, do you find out about the waiting list from the LEA letter or do you contact the schools in question and request a place on the waiting list?
You can and must accept the offer, but you can and should also ask the higher ranked schools to put you on their waiting lists (they call them "continuing interest lists"). See pages 18 and 19 of the Moving On Booklet for details, bearing in mind that the schools you want are voluntary aided (and so maintain their own lists).
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now