Westfield

Eleven Plus (11+) in South West Hertfordshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Post by 40 »

If its any help to you there is a list of latin and classics tutors on HCC web site. I know that doesnt answer your question, but as many schools in herts are not offering this as a subject it might help if your dcs really wanted to give it a try.
raceytracey

Post by raceytracey »

Hi

Unfortunately this is the school we have been offered so some of us will have to make the best of it.

Anyhow my DD wants to be a oscar winning actress not a doctor!! :wink:
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

raceytracey wrote:Hi

Unfortunately this is the school we have been offered so some of us will have to make the best of it.

Anyhow my DD wants to be a oscar winning actress not a doctor!! :wink:

.... sensible DD you have there.....!
C. J.

Post by C. J. »

Until relatively recently Watford Girls didn't offer separate sciences at GCSE either (although they do now and they also did rather longer ago). Several of my daughter's friends intend doing medicine at university with their double award and whatever A Levels they are doing now. (English was something I've heard recommended; perhaps the profession has realised we'd rather like doctors we can communicate with!)

I do agree though the first term of L6 is quite hard trying to catch up the bits not covered.

There's quite a lot of movement between 6th forms in the Watford area, so I think what is offered up to GCSE is maybe more important.
person

Post by person »

I have no idea whether my DS wants to be a medic or not (he's only 10) but I would like him to have the best opportunies available especially those of a highly academic nature (sorry!). If we are to be forced into sending our children to the nearest available school then these schools should offer the same curriculum as the more academically biased, selective alternatives. Particularly if the selection is to be reduced even further by government managed parental destruction of the system via the adjudication process.
cheated

over allocation

Post by cheated »

Is it true that Westfield over-allocated 100 places this year? If so how is it being resolved?
raceytracey

Post by raceytracey »

Hi Cheated

How did you hear that?

Has your child been allocated Westfield?
cheated

Post by cheated »

Hi Raceytracey,

I was looking at the outturn section of the Herts county council website and Westfield allocated 300 places this year. This is 60 more than 2008 and more than any other school. So it is either a mistake, or they intend having 10 classes in year 7 next year. Sounds a lot to cope with! Are they expanding the site? No, I am not involved this year but will be next year and am most likely to be offered Westfield.
raceytracey

Post by raceytracey »

Hi Cheated

We are going to the school on 20th April to have another look around and a chat with the head and deputy.

The school have put on this open afternoon as there was so much demand from parents whose children had been allocated this school and never visited it.

We did look at it last Oct but going again as my DD not happy about going at all. Just hope that she feels a bit better after the visit.

Maybe one of the parents will ask this question about numbers. If not then I will!!
cheated

Post by cheated »

How did you get on today at your visit? Does your DD feel better about it?