Movements - SW Hert consortium

Eleven Plus (11+) in South West Hertfordshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
ttmum

Movements - SW Hert consortium

Post by ttmum »

Has anyone heard of any movements in any school? By now, they should have compiled the waiting lists having received the acceptances and rejections by 17 March and a week elapsing since then.

Called up Queens School and asked if there had been any movement, and the lady answered 'Yes'.

Fingers crossed to those of us on the waiting list.
watfordmum66

Post by watfordmum66 »

Hi,
I have spoken to Queens frequently :roll: and there has been movement not quite enough for me but they did tell me where Ds now is on the list.
I was under the impression that they have offered from CI list and will be waiting for replies from these.

ttmum did you ask where you are now on the list ?

Admissions lady suggested that phoning after Easter may be the best action to take now.

Good Luck to all who are waiting. :)
Jessica

CI Lists

Post by Jessica »

Heard from WBGS stating still no offer of place. I tried to speak to someone at the school to ascertain whereabouts DS is on the waiting list to no avail.

Does anyone know what the lowest score is now for those from the outer area. I may have asked this before, but does anyone know why those from the outer area have to score higher than those from the inner area? It seems a bit unfair. Or have I got it wrong? When you look at the very helpful charts in the SW consortium sticky it shows consistently higher marks having to be achieved to get a place if you are in the outer area. As we are granted fewer places why are the outer area boys then expected to score higher. :?

One thing I do note is that in the FT top 1000 schools list, WGSB does not suffer from being partially selective at all! Its results are fantastic despite a relatively small proportion being selected by academic test. Really does prove it has excellent teaching.
Polly

Post by Polly »

There is no set pass mark.

They allocate places in strict order of merit. It therefore follows that the outer area applicants will need a higher score, because there are fewer places available to them.

I understand that this is done deliberately to favour children that live closer to the school.
Genesis

Post by Genesis »

Queens has definitely moved a lot.
A friends daughter has jumped 28 places from her original starting point i believe.

Ricky has jumped at least 30 on academic as my daughter is 30 places higher on academic than she was at the start.

She has gone down 5 places at Bushey Meads in Band B, from 18th to 23rd, due to 5 children coming into her band as late applicants, that didn't put it as one of their choices, that got banded and then went higher in the list because of their proximity to the school.
This seems very unfair to me, seeing as it wasn't one of their choices but there you go.
We are late applicants at Queens for the same reason and we got put at the bottom of the list and quite rightly so in my opinion.
watfordmum66

Post by watfordmum66 »

Genesis

the academic list has not moved that much otherwise my ds would have been offered a place

Could this be distance ?
WP

Post by WP »

Genesis wrote:We are late applicants at Queens for the same reason and we got put at the bottom of the list and quite rightly so in my opinion.
They shouldn't be putting you at the bottom of the list; they're required to operate the waiting lists under the same criteria as the original allocation.
AlisonR

Post by AlisonR »

WP wrote:
Genesis wrote:We are late applicants at Queens for the same reason and we got put at the bottom of the list and quite rightly so in my opinion.
They shouldn't be putting you at the bottom of the list; they're required to operate the waiting lists under the same criteria as the original allocation.
But if you didn't put Queens as one of your three choices and then ask to go on the Continued Interest list shouldn't this count as a late application and then be processed after all the others?

I know that hasn't been the case in the past at most schools but to me it seems fair enough.

Alison
ttmum

Post by ttmum »

Genesis wrote:Queens has definitely moved a lot.
A friends daughter has jumped 28 places from her original starting point i believe.
I don't think Queens list has moved a lot. You have to remember that after initial allocations, we were asked to either reject or accept by the 17 March. A number of people may have rejected their place and hence this has made movement possible. On the so called 'waiting list' or better put continued interest list, when we were given our merit order and distance order, some people may have chosen not to remain on the continued interest list and these has an effect on positions on the list eg some with a merit order of 100 may have moved to number 65, it just shows that some people have opted out of remaining on the list.

My dd was number 7 in proximity for Queens, and two other kids on my street were numbers 2 and 6, both chose not to remain on the continued interest list. When I called Queens yesterday, I was informed my dd is now number 4. This to me doesn't mean that they have offered places to the children ahead of us.
Genesis

Post by Genesis »

watfordmum66 wrote:Genesis

the academic list has not moved that much otherwise my ds would have been offered a place

Could this be distance ?
You're right, i didn't specify, yes that is her position on distance :)
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now