Daughter is August birthday, what will this mean exactly?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

HoldenCaufield

Re: Daughter is August birthday, what will this mean exactly

Post by HoldenCaufield »

Sorry I've not been online, had the dreaded flu bug :roll:

I guess what I'm trying to ascertain is if a September born scored 105 in, say, English, how much would an August born's score be? Would DD accrue 2 more points? 3?

I know that this may be the only time that my August born DD might be at an advantage in her educational journey, I just wanted to know.

DD's 11+ tutor said that, "she can get more wrong". If this is true, how many?!

She finds the Maths difficult so to know that she can drop a couple of points would be very reassuring. Obviously, I won't tell her this!

She'll be sitting the Kent GL 11+ for a non-selective grammar. The pass rate last year was 106.
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

It’s impossible to say how many, if any, extra marks on her standardised score she would get.

It all depends on how all the Other August borns do in comparison to those born in other months.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

HoldenCaufield wrote:DD will be sitting 11+ in September having just turned 10 the month before.

I understand that her DOB affects her scores but I don't know how!

Does it mean that she can get more wrong?
Standardisation compares (in your case) all the children born in August with each other. It also compares all the children born in Sept with the other Sept born children. And the same for all the other months. I.e. The kids are compared with those born in the same month as them. If the August children generally do worse than those born in Sept, standardisation would ensure that any imbalance was equal. (Effectively favouring the August borns) If the August children did better than the Sept ones, standardisation would ensure any imbalance was equal (effectively penalising the August borns).

This is a gross simplification but hopefully explains it.
HoldenCaufield

Post by HoldenCaufield »

Kenyan, that DOES help.

So, going on the premise that August borns do less well (which I imagine to be true because they are the youngest?) then DD will get a higher standardised score?
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

HoldenCaufield wrote:Kenyan, that DOES help.

So, going on the premise that August borns do less well (which I imagine to be true because they are the youngest?) then DD will get a higher standardised score?
What we have been trying to say is that your DD might get a higher standardised score, but it all depends on the cohort sitting the test and how those born in the same month do compared to those born in other months.

If there’s little to no difference between the scores of those born in different months there will be little to no effect on their scores. If there’s a noticeable difference in the scores of say, the August borns compared to say th December borns, then the scores will be adjusted to take this into account. There’s no advantage or disadvantage due to age.
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

Also, in theory, if say the August borns in average score better, than say, the December borns, it is entirely possible their standardised score will actually be lower as a result.