TWGGS waiting list and Weald of Kent annexe

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

confused67

TWGGS waiting list and Weald of Kent annexe

Post by confused67 »

Can anyone help with two questions please?

DD has a place at the Weald Annexe in Sevenoaks. She passed the 11 plus comfortably but not well enough for TOGS (which was fine as we did not think that was the right school for her). She loved the Weald Annexe but didn't like the main school at all (we loved the grounds and thought the pupils and staff we spoke to were great but DD found the Tonbridge site a bit chaotic). We both loved TWGGS when we visited and herein lies our problem. Whilst I have heard a lot of very good things about Weald and I have no doubts that in terms of pastoral care in particular, it will be fantastic, I do worry that, on paper, the academics don't seem to be as good as at TWGGS when in theory (save for the Governor's places), neither is super selective. The post 6th form destinations at TWGGS also seem to be very impressive in comparison to those we noted at Weald (although this information only from displays around Weald in Tonbridge rather than a published list).

DD would only get into TWGGS on a Governor's place as we are in one of the designated parishes. She appears to have missed the cut off score for a Governor's place on first allocation by 1 mark (although I realise distance would come into play and that there may be other qualifying girls with the same score). She then did not get a place off the waiting list when reallocation was carried out in April. Another child at her school has now received a place at TWGGS (and as she did not get this place on first allocation we assume that she received the same or a lesser score than DD). This does seem to indicate some remote possibility of a place. Does anyone know of anyone from a Governor's place area who has got in off the waiting list at a later stage prior to September or is there so little chance it is not worth thinking about?

In addition, please can anyone also put my mind at rest regarding academics at Weald and also how children are getting on at the Sevenoaks annex now that the first year is nearly over?

Many thanks.
Mayfair321

Re: TWGGS waiting list and Weald of Kent annexe

Post by Mayfair321 »

Hi. I can’t comment on TWGGS nor do I know which universities the Weald students end up at but my DD is at the Weald annexe and absolutely loves it! There is a real community feel there and this even extends to the parents getting to know one another well, as we have bonded over the fact that it is a ‘new’ school. Initially DD found going to the Tonbridge site chaotic and super busy but now she quite enjoys going there once a fortnight as it makes a change. It has been tricky for the School to provide as many extra curricular opportunities at the Sevenoaks site but this willl change as more girls join the site. In terms of academics I feel the Weald work the girls hard at school without inundating them with too much homework. They seem to achieve high standards but in a non-pressurised way. Hope this helps!
confused67

Post by confused67 »

Thank you very much Mayfair 321. That is really encouraging. Although there aren't so many extra curricular activities at the annexe, is there a choir and much focus on music (DD's love)?
Mayfair321

Post by Mayfair321 »

I am not too sure about music as it’s not my DD’s thing but there is definitely a singing club and those involved in that performed in a tea concert recently. We have also just received a letter about lessons for various instruments and the music teacher has asked parents for suggestions for any ensembles that they could offer at Sevenoaks in preparation for the new intake in September.
confused67

Post by confused67 »

Thank you. DD will be pleased to hear about that.
pushydaddy

Post by pushydaddy »

DD and her friends all appear really happy at the annex.

only downside for us is her commute and she still resents going to tonbridge once a fortnight.

the school seems really caring and relaxed compared to TWIGs and TOGS (where i have my elder daughter) In fact we've been surprised by just how many girls at the annex have sisters at TOGs.
confused67

Post by confused67 »

Thanks Pushdaddy. I'm becoming more convinced that the annexe is the right place for DD. In terms of being relaxed, do you feel that the girls are pushed to achieve their best, just without undue pressure?
pushydaddy

Post by pushydaddy »

We were concerned that DD might not thrive at a grammar (she won her place on appeal) but Weald provides support and certainly pushes her as far as she wants to be pushed.

For what it is worth, I think that Weald appears to give much more homework activities than TGS did (at year 7) which I think certainly helps to build up a work ethic.

The cohort of girls is varied and gives scope for picking an appropriate friend group. For an academically competitive girl, TGS is brilliant, for a less academic, yet still bright girl, I think Weald is great.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now