Kent Test scores report 2018

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
KentDad001

Re: Kent Test scores report 2018

Post by KentDad001 »

While trying to estimate DS's chances of getting into Judd with a 363, by examining the scores published today, I noted that in West Kent (Sevenoaks, Tonbridge and Malling, and Tunbridge Wells districts), the number of boys scoring 360+ went from 275 in 2017 to 314 this year. In a normal year that would suggest the Judd mark would be higher than last year's 364. However, the impact of Skinner's policy change is a real wild card, so it's hard to say what the net effect at Judd will be. Fortunately we're probably close enough for a place at Skinner's, but prefer Judd slightly on its inherit merits, and significantly due to location, travelling from Sevenoaks.
Sevenoaks mum

Post by Sevenoaks mum »

KentDad001 wrote:While trying to estimate DS's chances of getting into Judd with a 363, by examining the scores published today, I noted that in West Kent (Sevenoaks, Tonbridge and Malling, and Tunbridge Wells districts), the number of boys scoring 360+ went from 275 in 2017 to 314 this year. In a normal year that would suggest the Judd mark would be higher than last year's 364. However, the impact of Skinner's policy change is a real wild card, so it's hard to say what the net effect at Judd will be. Fortunately we're probably close enough for a place at Skinner's, but prefer Judd slightly on its inherit merits, and significantly due to location, travelling from Sevenoaks.
Yes I was looking at the same numbers but those 3 districts you mention are the inner areas of both Judd and Skinners. I don't recall how many boys Judd takes from its inner area but between Judd and Skinners
there must be almost enough places to cater for those 314 boys scoring 360 or above.

Don't write off Skinners from Sevenoaks from a journey point of view. I have a son in year 9 at Skinners who travels from Riverhead on the bus and his entire journey, door to door is 40 minutes. There is a bus lane along the Southborough road so the buses cruise through the traffic. It is only a harder journey for us parents but that is only a few times a year.
LocalTWmum1

Post by LocalTWmum1 »

KentDad001 wrote:While trying to estimate DS's chances of getting into Judd with a 363, by examining the scores published today, I noted that in West Kent (Sevenoaks, Tonbridge and Malling, and Tunbridge Wells districts), the number of boys scoring 360+ went from 275 in 2017 to 314 this year. In a normal year that would suggest the Judd mark would be higher than last year's 364. However, the impact of Skinner's policy change is a real wild card, so it's hard to say what the net effect at Judd will be. Fortunately we're probably close enough for a place at Skinner's, but prefer Judd slightly on its inherit merits, and significantly due to location, travelling from Sevenoaks.
Did you include boys from the independent sector in your totals? Historically, Judd intake is made of up 30% prep school kids, Skinners' around 20% :)

https://www.kentonline.co.uk/maidstone/ ... es-123995/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Aby

Post by Aby »

I have checked this morning on Kent council website found that the table is now deleted. Don’t know why?
LocalTWmum1

Post by LocalTWmum1 »

Aby wrote:I have checked this morning on Kent council website found that the table is now deleted. Don’t know why?
Odd - it was only the version containing scores by school, not district, that Peter had lobbied to be restricted I thought? :roll:
Last edited by LocalTWmum1 on Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KentDad001

Post by KentDad001 »

LocalTWmum1 wrote:
Did you include boys from the independent sector in your totals? Historically, Judd intake is made of up 30% prep school kids, Skinners' around 20% :)

https://www.kentonline.co.uk/maidstone/ ... es-123995/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I'm aware that many boys at Judd and Skinners come from indepedent schools. I have not included them in the number in my earlier post, as the scores for the indie schools are not broken down geographically. There were 129 boys scoring 360+ at indie schools this year across Kent, compared to 134 last year, and indeed many of them will be competing for places at these schools.

To further complicate things, the priority catchments for Judd and Skinners aren't perfect overlaps for the three districts I mentioned, excluding for example northern parts of Sevenoaks district such as Eynsford north up to Swanley. These students will be reflected in the pass number, but not competing for the same places. This is my first time in grammar game, so it would be interesting to hear the thoughts of those who have followed the changes over the years and understands the dynamics more fully.
Sorrel

Post by Sorrel »

PanicMode wrote:
Jim123 wrote:
Sorrel wrote:Skinners is moving to a fixed score cut off: it'll be by distance for scorers over 360, with most of the places reserved for named parishes or a 3 mile radius. Goes to under 360 if there aren't enough over. Will be interesting to see the effect on Judd cut off scores.
You are right and the squeeze will be on Judd.
Skinners is moving to 140 in area places and 20 out of area places, with cut off score of 360 and then Sibling/Distance qualifier.

Although it the admissions criteria says they will fill in with scores lower than 360 if not enough apply, I would not expect that to happen and all the places to be filled with 360+ scores. This will mean some children with very high scores, but who live on the far side of the boundary will miss out, where last year they would have been given priority by their score.

Given Skinners normally first round triggers over 360, and the scores are up this year, I would expect a squeeze on Judd from very high scores further out in the skinners catchment area.
I was at Skinners for the open morning today. Mr Wesson said that they had 175 children apply last year as first choice places - but that this year is 'back to zero' so it's anyone's guess. He did say that they think it is unlikely that they will get 140 boys within the qualifiying area with qualifying scores applying, so that they will go below 360 for local Kent children. The 20 places for the 'out of area' basically is the same number of children that usually apply from Sussex - so that the squeeze will probably be on Sussex children trying to cross the border; there will be fewer children able to access the school from Hastings and Eastborne as happens now, and probably closer in to the school.....essentially he said that KCC are ensuring that West Kent grammar places go to West Kent children first...and then to those who are just the 'wrong' side of the border (ie in Sussex) as the school is only 3 miles from the county line.

As we are about 100m from the school, have a strong qualifying pass and DS will have a sibling there, luckily we shouldn't have to stress too much about a place this year, unlike when DS1 took the test!
Did Mr Wesson say anything about their estimates of how many of the 20 ooc places will go to siblings before distance kicks in? Would be good to know the chances of Orpington little brothers getting in: we're a lot further away than Sussex, but then if Orpington siblings don't get in, that would mean all the places are taken by Sussex and other non-named parish siblings, with no places on pure distance at all.
Sevenoaks mum

Post by Sevenoaks mum »

Aby wrote:I have checked this morning on Kent council website found that the table is now deleted. Don’t know why?

I've just looked and it is there now (lunchtime Weds 17th Oct)

It is under the section "what your score means" on the website where you got your child's score from.
PanicMode

Post by PanicMode »

Sorrel wrote:
Did Mr Wesson say anything about their estimates of how many of the 20 ooc places will go to siblings before distance kicks in? Would be good to know the chances of Orpington little brothers getting in: we're a lot further away than Sussex, but then if Orpington siblings don't get in, that would mean all the places are taken by Sussex and other non-named parish siblings, with no places on pure distance at all.
No, he didn't mention OOC sibling places - I rather thought that the sibling/staff children rule only applies within the inner area - but I could be completely wrong as I haven't studied it that closely. (We are about 150 m from the school and DS will have a sibling there). They were being very open and helpful so I'd call Mrs McIntosh in Admissions and I'm sure she can shed some light for you.
Sorrel

Post by Sorrel »

PanicMode wrote:
Sorrel wrote:
No, he didn't mention OOC sibling places - I rather thought that the sibling/staff children rule only applies within the inner area - but I could be completely wrong as I haven't studied it that closely. (We are about 150 m from the school and DS will have a sibling there). They were being very open and helpful so I'd call Mrs McIntosh in Admissions and I'm sure she can shed some light for you.
Thanks. They seem to have taken the full admissions policy document off the website but it did involve a sibling preference for ooc children too. My second son is in yr 5 now, so we don't know where things will be in a year's time, but I was curious. #1 son is really enjoying Skinners.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now