Parents perspectives please on WGSB, DGS and GGS

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
bondgirl

Re: Parents perspectives please on WGSB, DGS and GGS

Post by bondgirl »

Happy to answer any questions if I can help.
Muggle

Post by Muggle »

fawn wrote:Thanks again Salsa for the inside information; it's all very helpful and also thanks to AJ27 and Bondgirl. It's so useful to hear honest parent views and not just open evening "propaganda"! I would love to hear more details about life inside WGSB too AJ27 if you don't mind as it's my son's fave so far - I appreciate that boys' schools will be lively and boisterous places but do you know of any issues with bullying (verbal +/- physical) and how the school deals with it?

Any info much appreciated!!!
Hi fawn, unfortunately there is a strong bullying culture at WGSB and several of my son’s year group have left the school because of the traumatic experiences they suffered. The pastoral care in Year 7 is good, but beyond that the pastoral care is appalling. The school is great if your son is a popular, sporty, confident type but for the quieter, nerdier, geeky boys or for those that are not part of the in-crowd, I would avoid WGSB.
salsa

Post by salsa »

Muggle wrote:
fawn wrote:Thanks again Salsa for the inside information; it's all very helpful and also thanks to AJ27 and Bondgirl. It's so useful to hear honest parent views and not just open evening "propaganda"! I would love to hear more details about life inside WGSB too AJ27 if you don't mind as it's my son's fave so far - I appreciate that boys' schools will be lively and boisterous places but do you know of any issues with bullying (verbal +/- physical) and how the school deals with it?

Any info much appreciated!!!
Hi fawn, unfortunately there is a strong bullying culture at WGSB and several of my son’s year group have left the school because of the traumatic experiences they suffered. The pastoral care in Year 7 is good, but beyond that the pastoral care is appalling. The school is great if your son is a popular, sporty, confident type but for the quieter, nerdier, geeky boys or for those that are not part of the in-crowd, I would avoid WGSB.
Hi Muggle,
Gosh! I am shocked! The school came across as a very caring place when we visited. What year is your son in?

There are some unkind children at DGS, but their abuse is mainly verbal. The problem is that without the children reporting it, the school doesn't get to know. Obviously, if you get to know you can talk to those in charge of pastoral care and the school does intervene. This is difficult when you are trying to achieve a balance of protection and getting your children to stand up for themselves.

Do they have a culture of "no snitching" at Wilmington too?

Salsa
bondgirl

Post by bondgirl »

Also shocked to hear that about WBGS. Just to add as well, I’m not aware of unkind children nor the ‘no snitch’ culture, salsa, at DGS but I would be very surprised if this weren’t the case in most schools. Thankfully, DS does not seem to have encountered any issues or if he has, has dealt with them without me being aware.
salsa

Post by salsa »

bondgirl wrote:Also shocked to hear that about WBGS. Just to add as well, I’m not aware of unkind children nor the ‘no snitch’ culture, salsa, at DGS but I would be very surprised if this weren’t the case in most schools. Thankfully, DS does not seem to have encountered any issues or if he has, has dealt with them without me being aware.
Hi Bondgirl,

Both my boys report about the "no snitch" culture. I am glad your son hasn't come across it.

Salsa
SashaK

Post by SashaK »

My opinion and experience of WGSB is very positive.
Every school has it’s problems and I can tell you lots of good stories and horror stories about every school in the local area.
No one can look into the future but you and your child are in the best possible position to make a decision on the best fit for them.
Good luck and I hope that you get your first choice. There will be many feeling devastated that they don’t have the option to pick between these 3 great schools.
loobylou

Post by loobylou »

bondgirl wrote: the ‘no snitch’ culture, salsa, at DGS but I would be very surprised if this weren’t the case in most schools.
I really hope not.
There is an anonymous reporting facility at my dc's school for them to report any bullying/unpleasant behaviour/inappropriateness heard/seen on social media/witnessed in any way. Most children seem to be comfortable reporting things non-anonymously but it is very good for them to have the option to do so if they wish to.
I am quite surprised, particularly in the #metoo, post-Saville era where every single public establishment I know has posters along the lines of this:
http://www.chscb.org.uk/wp-content/uplo ... ackney.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
that schools allow themselves to be known/accepted to have a culture of not snitching.
For me there is a continuum and if students are encouraged to cover up some behaviours how are they encouraged to report others?
bondgirl

Post by bondgirl »

Good point, loobylou. I think because it’s not been an issue for any of my DCs I’m not really aware of the school’s policy in this regard. I wasn’t aware my DS’s school had a “no snitch” culture - the first I’d heard of it was salsa’s comment. He isn’t here to ask but I’ll be interested to find out his view.
salsa

Post by salsa »

They can report issues anonymously and I’m told some do. However, my children wouldn’t, but as a parent I would if necessary.

Salsa
fawn

Post by fawn »

Hi and thank you to everyone who's contributed so far. Definitely food for thought!!!