Dartford Grammar School from Medway area

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
LanaSim

Dartford Grammar School from Medway area

Post by LanaSim »

Hi

Does somebody's child here travels to DGS from Medway area? I would like to know how manageable the travel is, and if kids take an early train to arrive by certain time? Also how reliable trains were in the past? And what did you do in situations when trains were cancelled or delayed? How does school react if child is late due to the issues with the transport?

We are a bit worried that our son can be late due to issues with trains etc or that everyday journey could be tiring for him. So thinking ahead before he starts the school and want to consider different options.

Would appreciate a lot if somebody could share their experience :-)

Thank you very much
PettswoodFiona

Re: Dartford Grammar School from Medway area

Post by PettswoodFiona »

You may need to be more precise about where in Medway, if you are on top of Rochester station it will be a fairly easy journey on the train and then a 15-20 minute walk from Dartford station to the school. Other locations may be less straightforward. I know someone who was OOC who moved closer to the school as their girl got into Dartford Girl's Grammar and didn't want an awkward commute and despite there being a direct coach service from our location in Petts Wood which whilst convenient didn't give much flexibility on attending after school clubs. However appreciate that isn't an option for everyone depending on where your jobs are and if you have other children to consider.
LanaSim

Post by LanaSim »

Hi thank you for your reply.
We are 10 min drive from Gillingham station. I could drive him to the train station and pick him up from there as working from home. But still not sure how it would work in the winter months or when its dark :roll:
LanaSim

Post by LanaSim »

PettswoodFiona wrote:You may need to be more precise about where in Medway, if you are on top of Rochester station it will be a fairly easy journey on the train and then a 15-20 minute walk from Dartford station to the school. Other locations may be less straightforward. I know someone who was OOC who moved closer to the school as their girl got into Dartford Girl's Grammar and didn't want an awkward commute and despite there being a direct coach service from our location in Petts Wood which whilst convenient didn't give much flexibility on attending after school clubs. However appreciate that isn't an option for everyone depending on where your jobs are and if you have other children to consider.
Hi Did you move to Dartford at the end?
Sorrel

Post by Sorrel »

How long would the train journey be from Gillingham? And what would he do if you're not able to drop or pick him up one day?

Our two are both at another Kent grammar with a 10 min walk/ 26 min train/ 17 min walk journey. It's ok but they do get a bit tired. With both of them in the same school now, we are in the process of moving closer. It's not the only reason we're moving but keen to do it before #1 starts GCSEs in earnest next year. It should reduce the time they spend getting to school and back by 40 min every day, or nearly 3.5 hours per week.
PettswoodFiona

Post by PettswoodFiona »

LanaSim wrote:
PettswoodFiona wrote:You may need to be more precise about where in Medway, if you are on top of Rochester station it will be a fairly easy journey on the train and then a 15-20 minute walk from Dartford station to the school. Other locations may be less straightforward. I know someone who was OOC who moved closer to the school as their girl got into Dartford Girl's Grammar and didn't want an awkward commute and despite there being a direct coach service from our location in Petts Wood which whilst convenient didn't give much flexibility on attending after school clubs. However appreciate that isn't an option for everyone depending on where your jobs are and if you have other children to consider.
Hi Did you move to Dartford at the end?
It wasn't me who moved, it was a friend and they moved to a village outside of Dartford on a direct and short bus route to the school. My daughter got into our local grammar (Newstead) so no need to move.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now