Opinions on the Tunbridge Wells Grammar for Boys?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
vinc

Opinions on the Tunbridge Wells Grammar for Boys?

Post by vinc »

Me and my son loved the TWGSB during the open evening, but looking at the GCSE results, the school doesn't look so strong academically (as least not so strong as the grammar schools in Bexley which we also consider as we live in Orpington). Any opinions and feedback are much appreciated.
OraProNobis

Re: Opinions on the Tunbridge Wells Grammar for Boys?

Post by OraProNobis »

I'm in Orpington as well, we're also looking at grammar schools for 2022. I haven't been to TWGSB, but my advice is that data you see with your own eyes is more valuable than data you get from a table. Whether your son will get better GCSE grades at a school with higher averages than TWGSB (which are actually pretty good, just not St Olaves' good) is not really a question you can answer from statistics. If you like the feel of the school I personally think that it counts for more than figures.
doodles

Re: Opinions on the Tunbridge Wells Grammar for Boys?

Post by doodles »

Both of my sons have had friends go through TWGSB and their experiences have been positive. It has never been a super selective GS unlike others in the area so maybe you aren't comparing like with like. If you both liked the school then consider it further because not everything can be put down on a chart!
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad !