Being 'deemed selective'

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
MARC1

Being 'deemed selective'

Post by MARC1 »

My child has passed Bexley (225) and Kent (380). We will apply for Grammars on the form but I have a query around being 'deemed selective'. Are people aware if there are many children that are 'deemed selective' but were unable to get into a Grammar despite applying? ( Im not including people who decide to go private or comprehensive through choice) Just curious as to how common it is to not get a place despite wanting one.
Sorrel

Re: Being 'deemed selective'

Post by Sorrel »

Peter of Kent Advice says that all qualified Kent children who wanted a grammar place seem to have got one in recent years, though in a few areas it wasn't immediate. There are lots of ooc children who pass but won't get in to any Kent school though. With Bexley, apart from the top 180, it is purely distance and siblings etc. Sometimes some of the schools admit all their qualified applicants and go a mark below pass, but it's not usual
MARC1

Post by MARC1 »

We are OOC so im just a little concerned that all the effort could feasibly be in vain. But fingers crossed it will work out.
Fmmg

Post by Fmmg »

I am OOC in Orpington and less than 10% of the children I know who passed Bexley and/or Kent actually ended up going to a grammar in these areas, and all who did go only got places in the last couple of weeks of the summer term. The reason why they didn't go to a Kent or Bexley grammar was sometimes due to getting into Olaves/ Newstead but for most it was actually because when they didn't get in on offer day (due to distance), or then in second round or into May, they decided to have the certainty of going to the local comprehensive which is a known school where the large majority of local kids attend. Most of us hadn't had any opportunity to visit any of the grammars due to Covid, so the local nature and familiarity of the local secondary school felt more sensible than a punt on a far away grammar.
MARC1

Post by MARC1 »

Thanks for the reply. The pain looks like its going to go on after March 1st. This process is agonising.
Sorrel

Post by Sorrel »

Where are you based, Marc1? Do you know whether children local to you usually get places in Kent or Bexley grammars?
MARC1

Post by MARC1 »

Im in Orpington/Keston. I know of some in Orpington proper. I think we might be ok but maybe just a little too far. It will probably depend on who applies and how many are nearer than we are.
Katienew

Post by Katienew »

Do you have a boy or a girl? Your child has a good chance for Sevenoaks campus for Weald girls or tunbridge wells boys.Weald allocates based on distance from tonbridge campus however children have got admission from pettswood in second allocations in previous years. Tunbridge wells boys - the admission team in open day said that there will be 90 spaces allocated based on distance from Sevenoaks campus.
MARC1

Post by MARC1 »

We have a boy. Yeah we have fingers crossed for TWGSB. Facilities there were amazing ( what we saw at Tunbridge Wells site). Hoping for a bit of luck to get in. Dont mind either Sevenoaks or Tunbridge. Only worry with sevenoaks is that it wont feel like a true school experience with there only being year 7 and 8 ( 6 forms in total) in the building in September 2022.