Skinners School consulting to change admission for 2019

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
LocalTWmum1

Re: Skinners School consulting to change admission for 2019

Post by LocalTWmum1 »

If they are selecting on catchment, as well as scores (which naturally will come down due to a smaller pool of potential students who can apply), I'm not sure the likes of Judd and Skinners' ARE strictly super selective any more...

Selective yes - and I fail to see why that's an issue! A viable option for the brightest local kids, not bright kids from South London or Hastings or Crawley :roll:
Sorrel

Post by Sorrel »

Skinners' consulting on a further change to admission rules from 2023. Now introducing a floating qualification mark of 40 marks above the pass rate, and up to 14 Governors' places for boys in West Kent who score highest and wouldn't otherwise get in on distance.

https://www.skinners-school.co.uk/admis ... mber-2023/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The previous system didn't work out as expected; the pass mark became consistently higher than when the changes were introduced, and places offered on distance have barely made it out to Tonbridge in the last few years.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

There was a parent from Hertfordshire talking about going through the Dartford Tunnel every day.

Some dcs need to be saved from their own parents. DG
Sorrel

Post by Sorrel »

Heavens, that's a bit mad.
Sorrel

Post by Sorrel »

New Skinners' policy now in place for 2023, with entry threshold of 40 marks above pass mark and Governors' places for high scoring boys from further out in West Kent who wouldn't get in on distance. The 'up to' number of pupil premium places has also gone up, though like other West Kent schools, it doesn't look from information published elsewhere as though they were getting the number of qualified applicants to fill the existing allocation.

https://www.skinners-school.co.uk/admis ... s-for-2023" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Coffeelover

Post by Coffeelover »

I can see your viewpoint sparklecat. It makes sense. However, it makes sense too that parents consider a long journey to get what they perceive to be better education.

It is not fair. Full stop.

However, education is not fair.

It is not fair that private students have a massive advantage in their education over state and grammar schools and that private students have so much spent on them per pupil. Why should say the likes of Boris Johnson be entitled to massive amounts spent on him while a kid in Deptford does not get that opportunity?

While the entire system is unfair I can see why parents contemplate crazy journeys, and I can even see why parents get their children to sit a ridiculous number of practice exams, both grammar and private.

I also agree with pupil premium students having priority and I don't understand anyone who would not agree with that. If you live in area with poor secondary provision a grammar is very attractive because as a parent you know how important secondary education is.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Coffeelover wrote:I can see your viewpoint sparklecat. It makes sense. However, it makes sense too that parents consider a long journey to get what they perceive to be better education.

It is not fair. Full stop.

However, education is not fair.

It is not fair that private students have a massive advantage in their education over state and grammar schools and that private students have so much spent on them per pupil. Why should say the likes of Boris Johnson be entitled to massive amounts spent on him while a kid in Deptford does not get that opportunity?

While the entire system is unfair I can see why parents contemplate crazy journeys, and I can even see why parents get their children to sit a ridiculous number of practice exams, both grammar and private.

I also agree with pupil premium students having priority and I don't understand anyone who would not agree with that. If you live in area with poor secondary provision a grammar is very attractive because as a parent you know how important secondary education is.
The only really fair system would be if all children had excellent local schools and committed parents, but that is not the case.

The crazy journeys are just that, utterly crazy - there is quite often a "grammar school or bust" mentality, sometimes ignoring very good schools nearby.

TBH you only have to look at the counties with no GS (of which there are many) the children can do very well, they travel with there friends and there is far less stress over the year 7 transfer altogether
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now