Kent result - OOC and inside catchment - discrepancy

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

twmum2021

Re: Kent result - OOC and inside catchment - discrepancy

Post by twmum2021 »

Thanks for everyone who has been very supportive in my 11+ journey. Just wanted to update to everyone who took their time and answered my question earlier. We did an appeal with all the supporting evidence and DS has now been offered a place at 2 schools :o :o :o :o
He has been offered place at BGS (Borden Grammar School, Sittingbourne) and OPGS (Oakwood Park Grammar school, Maidstone).
Now, we have to make a choice between those two schools. Does anybody have first-hand information about these schools please? Also, can anybody give some information about Sittingbourne and Maidstone.
I need to travel to London couple of days a week for my work, but, otherwise, I am happy to rent a place closer to the school.
PettswoodFiona

Re: Kent result - OOC and inside catchment - discrepancy

Post by PettswoodFiona »

Congratulations on the appeal success.

I am not familiar with either of these schools. I can only go on the data on the Government compare schools tool which is still relying on 2019 data. Borden Grammar was recently inspected and it again got a 'good'. Oakwood Park is also a 'good' school. I would be slightly worried about the Progress 8 score for Borden Grammar when looking at it and that it only gets 68% of pupils with a grade 5 or above in English and maths GCSE. If they have spaces (which is unusual for many grammars) then this maybe the local parents knowing something and choosing other options instead or it could be explained by some other demographic. The pass rates for maths and English at Borden Grammar are similar to some Bromley borough comprehensives.

Personally I would not move for a good grammar if there was better option nearby, some comprehensives nearer you are going to give you better options and probably less stress of a move too. It does depend what the alternative is for you and your son and if the upheaval is worth it.

Hopefully someone who knows these schools will come along and be able to explain why they might have spaces and also explain any of the Progress scores and what the pastoral care etc is like.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now