TWGSB New Starters 2022

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
GA123

TWGSB New Starters 2022

Post by GA123 »

Hi All,

Are there any new starters for TWGSB travelling from Bromley, Petts Wood or Orpington?

DS didn't get a place at Skinners (sadly, we are too far away) but he's really excited about TWGSB. The redevelopment looks very impressive.

We are in Petts Wood but DS will be catching a private school bus from Orpington to the Tunbridge Wells campus in the short-term. Looking to move him on to the train in due course.

Would be good to connect with the parents of other local boys.
Sorrel

Re: TWGSB New Starters 2022

Post by Sorrel »

All the best, hope it goes well for him. Traffic is pretty awful going into Tunbridge Wells in the morning so train will probably be the best bet and there will be plenty of other children for the TW schools on it
monolaoye

Post by monolaoye »

GA123 wrote:Hi All,

Are there any new starters for TWGSB travelling from Bromley, Petts Wood or Orpington?

DS didn't get a place at Skinners (sadly, we are too far away) but he's really excited about TWGSB. The redevelopment looks very impressive.

We are in Petts Wood but DS will be catching a private school bus from Orpington to the Tunbridge Wells campus in the short-term. Looking to move him on to the train in due course.

Would be good to connect with the parents of other local boys.
Hi
please what is the website / contact details for the private bus from Orpington to Tunbridge well grammar school. I will like to register .My son will be traveling from Orpington to Tunbridge well.
thanks
GA123

Post by GA123 »

I will send you a PM with details.
Moosey69

Post by Moosey69 »

A lot of the boys get the train to High Brooms station, it's nearer than Tunbridge Wells station. The traffic is usually fairly hideous so train is a good option.
Fmmg

Post by Fmmg »

Interested in knowing if the previous posters continued with the coach or ended up moving to the train?

My son is keen on TWGSB but we have reservations, particularly about the journey (walk train walk total 1 hour), but also about the historic GCSE results which, frankly, are not particularly impressive, certainly compared to other grammars but even against some non-selective schools in kent. Eg. the headline of 83% getting 5 GCSEs is much lower than many other selective schools. Can anyone share any insight on why this might be and whether more recent results might be more in line with 93%-95% plus for other grammars?
GA123

Post by GA123 »

Hello,

My son has been catching the private minibus from Orpington. The minibus departs Orpington about 7.30am and arrives at the Tunbridge Wells site between 8.10am-8.25am (even with the usual traffic). It costs a bit more than the train but the service is excellent, and the owner of the service is a real gentleman. The minimum commitment is one academic year which is very reasonable. There are lots of TWGSB boys who catch the bus.

My son is comfortable catching the train from Orpington to Petts Wood and vice versa. He will be doing the full journey by train next academic year (Petts Wood to High Brooms). We've done it a few times already and it's super easy. There are lots of TWGSB boys making the journey from Orpington and surrounding areas which is reassuring.

Separately, I've been really impressed with TWGSB thus far. The curriculum is set out clearly, the homework is reasonable, there are tons of clubs both during breaks and after school, a range of school trips, and excellent communications.

Hope that helps.
jarv1s01

Post by jarv1s01 »

Hi - is it possible to tell me the minibus company you used please? I'm in the middle of selecting choices for my son, and it's looking like TWGSB is his best option given his score, so I would like to nail down travel options before I select

Thanks very much :-)
GA123

Post by GA123 »

Admins, hope it's okay to post details here as parents in future years may require the same information.

The minibus company is Makys (https://makys.co.uk/). Contact details on the website.

The website doesn't mention the minibus service for the Kent grammar schools but call the owner and he'll tell you about it. I think it starts in Bromley and there are collection points in Elmstead Woods, Chislehurst, Petts Wood, and Orpington.
KB1234

Post by KB1234 »

jarv1s01 wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 4:42 pm Hi - is it possible to tell me the minibus company you used please? I'm in the middle of selecting choices for my son, and it's looking like TWGSB is his best option given his score, so I would like to nail down travel options before I select

Thanks very much :-)
Hi Jarv1s01... I am also considering putting TWGSB as first choice, can you tell me if you can live in Orpington and apply for a place for TWGSB ? Orpington doesn't seem to be on the named parishes for this school, does it offer out of catchment places too ? How are you planning to approach this. I am asking since I am in the same boat 🙏