Tonbridge Learning Zone and other educational clubs

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Villagedad

Tonbridge Learning Zone and other educational clubs

Post by Villagedad »

Hi
Has anyone come across or have experience of Tonbridge Learning Zone which someone mentioned to me recently..?

We are looking for an education club that our DS (year 3) can use to top up work done in the class to aid long term preparation for the 11plus etc..

Any views on this establishment or others in the Tonbridge / Tunbridge Wells area would be welcomed although we are looking for it to be a fun and motivating environment ie not like private tutoring...

Would welcome any postings or PM's

Many thanks
Villagedad
kentmum1

Post by kentmum1 »

My friend used this place with her daughter just for extra confidence. She sat the 11+, although not primarily interested in a GS place and got a very good score. However, the daughter decided against a GS and went to Bennett. She was very happy with the Centre.
twellsmum

Post by twellsmum »

To be totally honest, if your child is at a good state school (and yours is counted as a very good school, villagedad) then they really should not need extra tutoring in Year 3 or if they do, then how are they going to cope at a grammar school?

We tried one of those tutoring places but found it was staffed predominantly by A level students and did not help my DD1 (who needed some help with English) one little bit. Total waste of money IMHO! I'd save the money to do some more intensive 11+ specific tutoring nearer the time.

JM2P!
kentmum1

Post by kentmum1 »

I have to agree that if it was me, then I would definitely do the one-to-one tuition. The situation with my friend was that they were not particularly interested in a grammar place, so the stakes were not that high. Also, you never know what peer group you are going to end up with and how the dynamics will work within that group. I don't think that early tuition is a problem if it is simply for general reinforcement work. I do not believe they will struggle in the future with this. My eldest son had tuition from Year 4 mainly for English and handwriting and this worked wonders. I also know of many who started in Year 3, particularly, if like us, we were not in one of the best primaries. He did not start on the 11+ papers until 6 months before. He has never struggled and has maintained being in the top band at his grammar for the past two years, so in our view, it was money well spent. I think the one-to-one built up his confidence and unlocked his potential, which is often impossible in a class of 30. I asked the Head of our grammar whether boys ever left the school because they were struggling and he said it was very rare, so considering that most are probably tutored, that is not a situation to worry about.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now