Judd / Skinners 2010 admissions

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

jimmymack

Post by jimmymack »

SSM wrote:I think that the problem is accentuated because a lot of people living around Sevenoaks seem to have set ideas about what areas to travel to for services and it isn't just schools. Most people I know would gladly travel all the way to TW to go bowling but would think it totally alien to go bowling in Bexleyheath.
Except that it is over 20 miles from Sevenoaks to Bexleyheath on the M25; around three times the distance to Tunbridge Wells on the A21 and four times the distance to Tonbridge. Not exactly comparable are they? By the way have you been on that part of the M25 at the time when a child would be travelling to school? The comparison is simply not appropriate.
SSM

Post by SSM »

I never advocated going to school in Bexleyheath. In fact Bexleyheath to north Sevenoaks is about 17 miles and not 25 and and TW to North Sevenoaks is about 15, so not quite the four times you quote.

Yes I have done the journey during school traffic. In fact a few years ago I did it for a whole school term and it never took me more than 1/2 hour. Which I can assure is less than it takes to get to Tunbridge Wells. I also do the journey on a weekly basis (not school time) and it has never taken me more than that length of time. But if I was going to TW on a not school run then I will always allow myself 45 minutes as on average that is how long it takes.
Villagedad

Post by Villagedad »

Would anyone happen to know the mix of state v private school children at Judd, Skinners & TWGSB..?

Regards
Villagedad
jimmymack

Post by jimmymack »

SSM wrote:In fact Bexleyheath to north Sevenoaks is about 17 miles and not 25 and and TW to North Sevenoaks is about 15.
So when you talk about Sevenoaks, you don't mean Sevenoaks itself you actually mean the northern most part of a district measuring some 14 miles north to south and 142 square miles?

Well, I am impressed with your travelling times. I did much of the same journey to Bexleyheath on a Friday afternoon a couple of weeks ago and it took me an hour and a half.
SSM

Post by SSM »

I did originally say 'around Sevenoaks' and maybe I should have been a bit more specific and list the all the areas like Otford, Kemsing, maybe Riverhead (where they are close to the M25 junction) but basically I don't have the time.

For the last eight years I have being going to Bexleyheath at least once a week and could probably count on one hand the times it has taken me more than 1/2. Where as all the times I have been to TW, I would say at least 75% it has taken 40-45mins.

I don't want to get into a discussion about travelling, all I was trying to say is that it is almost a 'cultural' (and that is probably the wrong word) thing of where people feel comfortable going to. I'm also sure that this is true of most people and places and I wasn't trying to criticise, but just state my observations.

I would also like to say that I too am guilty of it. I did not even consider Wilmington or Dartford for my boys and only looked at TWBG, Judd and Skinners.
Just1-2go

Post by Just1-2go »

SSM - I think you are right, and it maybe also be to do with the train line.

Village dad - DS says that when he met all his class on his Skinners induction day, only 3 or so were from Independents. Not sure how indicative this is of all four classes. My DD thinks that there is about 75 -80 % state school pupils in her class at TWGGs. (just a quick poll - no hard and fast facts!)
kentish maid

Post by kentish maid »

Villagedad I think it is a bit of a myth that the West Kent grammars are dominated by private schooled children. You do not have to go to an Independent prep to pass the kent 11+ or even get a super selective score. Nor do you need to start tutoring (DIY or tutor) from the start of KS2. Personally i think if your dc starts in Yr 5 doing some work towards 11+, if they are to be able to cope when they get to grammar, this should be sufficient. By "work" - an hour week if you start at the beginning of Yr5 should be more than adequate.

If you feel your dcs are bored at school or want to be stretched, by all means do extra work at home whatever their age,but this should be for enjoyment. It isn't a necessity to get a grammar place. Even if you live north of sevenoaks!! : :D
One Down

Post by One Down »

Hi Kentish Maid
Weald are not adding another class this year, although they had made provision due to the enormous number of appeals for Weald this year. Very few appeals were successful for some reason, so another class was not added. In a few previous years, there were 12-18 successful appeal girls, which meant yr 7 started as six groups but at the end of yr 7 were put back in to five forms for year 8, as six forms cannot be supported throughout the school due to space etc.
Something really has to be done to adjust the number of GS places available or adjust the pass mark, because the current situation is not fair to the children who've worked so hard. Really don't know how TWGSB ended up with an extra form despite vigorous opposition - assume it isn't foundation yet, but bet it will be by next year?
jimmymack

Post by jimmymack »

There are 850 grammar places in West Kent and just 705 children in West Kent passed the 11+ so its not a matter of the score or the number of places.

The problem is simply that the grammar schools in West Kent, between, them took 309 children from out the area; Bromely, Hastings, Brighton and so on. This means that just 541 of the 705 West Kent children who were assessed as suitable for grammar were actually offered places in local grammar schools. Of the rest 118 children have been forced into the 120 mile a day cross county trek to grammars in East Kent.

The solution is blindingly obvious. The grammars should introduce local catchment areas. The problem would immediately go away.
SSM

Post by SSM »

Jimmyjack, where did you get your figures from? I know fro a fact that there are only about 20 boys starting at Skinners in Sept which come from out of kent.