No sense

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
tonbridgemum

No sense

Post by tonbridgemum »

can anyone explain the 3 mile free transport rule to me?!
We live in Tonbrige and my son has been turned down from the free transport pass as we are 2.8 miles away from TWGSB. :roll:
Why is it 3 miles? I could understand if the distance was meant to be walking distance but surely they dont expect this to be an acceptable distance by foot?!
I know we are really lucky to get the freedom pass which is £50 (i know a lot of parents are paying that per week) but my main issue is that my son will not be allowed on the school bus (i think it drives into the school and out of the car park at the end of the day?) and have to use the public bus for the sake of .2 0f a mile.
Would love to hear from any parents whos sons use either bus and if anyone could enlighten me why there needs to be a cut of point at all! Thanks!
Badger

Post by Badger »

I agree will you!
The reasoning behind things is mind boggling :shock:

I'm having my own travel problems and it's not much fun trying to deal with KCC's Travel Integration people...

Shame we can't have travel like the US do with their Yellow Bus system, where they seem to provide for the children correctly.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

The three mile limit is historic and, I blieve, is based on what was considered a reasonable distance to walk (rule goes back a long time certainly before 1960).

It would cost money to change it and so it is not going to happen -
tonbridgemum

Post by tonbridgemum »

Badger - what a nightmare for you! realise mine isnt such a big problem! :oops:
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now