Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Badger

KCC and taxi service for school runs.

Post by Badger »

Hi
I'm still in battle with KCC over my daughters school travel problems -
Sevenoaks travel to Wilmington Grammar School for Girls :(

One of many issues is the use of private taxi companies for school runs.

I'm arguing that KCC paying for two short taxi rides (each about 4 miles) a day must be more expensive than covering our costs on a private coach at under £5 a day.

This Telegraph article highlights the problem where West Sussex County Council are spending £16,000 a year getting one child to school!

I don't expect for one minute that KCC's proposed taxi runs for my daughter (twice a day from Badgers Mount to Otford) will be anywhere near that - but also don't see how any taxi company can do the trip for less than about £10 or £15?

Has anyone here had any experience of using taxi's supplied by the council for school runs?

I hate to ask but if any one is aware of any 'horror' stories then I would also like to know!

Thanks in advance.
SSM

Post by SSM »

Not a horror story, but are KCC able to reassure you that the taxi will wait for your kids at the train station if the train is running late?

If not it is another argument that you can use in order to try and persuade them that the coach will be a better option.

Think of the head lines if your DD's train were to arrive at Otford late and the taxi had gone off. :shock:
Badger

Post by Badger »

Hi,
Talking to the taxi company 'off the record' I managed to get some info out of them - needless to say it didn't stay off the record for long as this is my daughter not a sack of spuds that's being delivered! :twisted:

They hinted that if my 11 year old DD wasn't back at the station to be picked up on time (bearing in mind she would already have had to have caught both a bus and then the train without any delay etc.) then the cab would wait for 10 minutes before they contacted KCC. KCC normally inform them they don't pay waiting time, so they would then have to abandon the fare!

KCC weren't too happy when this information came to light - appears we shouldn't have been told the truth?!?
Badger

Post by Badger »

Just to update...

This story in the Telegraph is quite an eye-opener! :shock:

It's West Sussex County Council not Kent.
They are paying £80 per day, £16,000 per year to get one child to school by taxi!

Scary stuff here :?
This was published yesterday (27th August):

THE Home Office and the Met police have declined to clarify how routine police checks on a man who went on to commit child abuse offences while working as a taxi driver for Camden’s schools…
…the man passed an enhanced criminal records check by the Criminal Records Bureau (CRB) before taking a job at the private taxi firm which operates Camden’s school-run taxis.

[Camden News Journal]

I'm still having a massive uphill struggle getting KCC to see my point of view. I want them to pay for a coach journey that is CHEAPER than their proposed school travel... :!:
SSM

Post by SSM »

Badger, have you spoken to your local councillor and MP?
Badger

Post by Badger »

Hi,
For the last 3 weeks (after hearing KCC's proposal) I've been spending 2-4 hours a day talking and/or emailing my councillor! :(

I've contacted my MP and am waiting to hear back.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now