Where to begin for 11+ preparation

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
sherry_d

Where to begin for 11+ preparation

Post by sherry_d »

My DD is going to be doing her 11+ in Maidstone in Sep 2010 so wanted to start working with her and helping her asap but I am now sure how to start.

First off is there some material to help me on what stuff (cds or books) I need to tutor her and how to do it. I would also like to know the books we need to be using to start the praparation.

Secodly what sort of time should I put...I was thinking along 45 mins for 3 times a week to beging with....but really not sure since i dont know the material we need to cover,

Would really appreciate your help
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

One of the best places to start is with vocabulary and times tables. Lots and lots of practice!

There are some excellent resources available on the internet for those. Games of scrabble (using a dictionary) , any word games, word searches
( to recognise letter strings). Jigsaw puzzles, spot the difference puzzles and computer games like Tetris help with non verbal reasoning.

As far as actual materials go. NfER set the tests so the GL papers are what you need to be aiming for just before the test.

Bond is not relevant to the Kent test, although the bond how to do NVR can be useful. The tutors CDs, e-papers and downloads are relevant and it is worth downloading the Tutors free method and technique course from this site.

The Kent test is multipe choice and comprises of a maths paper, verbal reasoning paper and a non verbal reasoning paper. There is also a short written piece which is only taken into consideration if the results of the other papers are border-line.
pheasantchick

Post by pheasantchick »

My son will also being the 11+ in september 2110. The best advice for finding a tutor I've found is to ask parents in the years above who are about to take their 11+.
sherry_d

Post by sherry_d »

Thanks guys for your help

I have downloaded some of the material on site and I am feeling a bit desponded about it and if I am really up for the job

I was fairly confident before that I could help her but looking at some of the question....and the answers on the tutor's section....I am feeling really challenged and begining to think about getting a tutor.

My idea was for me to help her initially and see how far she goes....before deciding on tutor but am aint so sure now.

I dont really know that many parents with kids who have done 11+ our school doesnt really seem to care muvh about these so its down to me to do the work....
Villagedad

Post by Villagedad »

yoyo123 wrote:One of the best places to start is with vocabulary and times tables. Lots and lots of practice!

There are some excellent resources available on the internet for those. Games of scrabble (using a dictionary) , any word games, word searches
( to recognise letter strings). Jigsaw puzzles, spot the difference puzzles and computer games like Tetris help with non verbal reasoning.
Hi yoyo

Re vocabulary, are there any sheets of words that are worth learning for the 11plus to stretch word knowledge, or maybe flashcards with word one side and meaning on reverse?

Many thanks
Twinkle

Post by Twinkle »

VillageDad - there are lists of useful words ( but not meanings) on the free downloads on this site.You could turn them into flashcards.
Twinkle
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

Twinkle wrote:VillageDad - there are lists of useful words ( but not meanings) on the free downloads on this site.You could turn them into flashcards.
Twinkle
you could look up the meanings together and write them on the reverse
Villagedad

Post by Villagedad »

Thanks to you both
moved

Post by moved »

Village Dad

My children stick their new words on a sticky and put it on their bedroom door so that they can read it each time they walk through. When the word is learnt the sticky can go in the bin.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

You can also play a snakes and ladders based game, with any sort of question eg times tables, word definitions , spellings etc on cards in a pile face down

If your child lands on a ladder, they have to answer a question. If they get it right they can go up ladder. Similarly on a snake if they can answer the question they don't have to go down. If you land on a snake they have to answer a question. If they get it right down you go, if you land on a ladder they can stop you going up by answering a question correctly.

If they get it wrong you go up the ladder or stay at the head of the snake.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now