Writing on question paper

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Twinkle

Post by Twinkle »

YoYo - if you can't write on the paper how do you advise your pupils to keep a record of answers that they have eliminated particularly in the case of questions that the child wants to go back to if they have time. I am specifically thinking of NVR.

For a note of questions that they want to go back to I guess a running record on the scrap paper works ( but is time consuming) but elimination seems even more problematic.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

I just suggest they make a note on the scrap paper , but as you say it is time consuming. It would be much easier to write on the paper
Bexley Mum 2

Post by Bexley Mum 2 »

Twinkle - when DS2 did Kent and Bexley tests, because we were uncertain if he could mark the question paper, he circled the question numbers on the answer sheet for those he wanted to go back to if he had time. Of course this panicked me because I was worried circling the question number carelessly might intefere with the automated marking system.

As to eliminating answers it's ridiculous isn't it? I encouraged DS to cover with his fingers those that were clearly wrong, but it can get a bit fiddly! I don't think there's time to use scrap paper in NVR.

I'm more cross at the prospect of having to write out the alphabet as it would be very difficult to do the alphabet questions on the VR paper in your head. :?
medwaymum

Post by medwaymum »

Just to confirm, my dd was asked by the invigilator to immediately STOP marking the question paper halfway through the exam, it really put her off! Luckily she passed but it was her lowest mark and I think she was unnerved.
At least if they are prepared when they go in they will cope better. :)
Twinkle

Post by Twinkle »

I am so relieved that I have found out about this and can forewarn my DS. Phew. I fear this will slow him down tho'. I just wish I had known earlier. I 'd love to know what the rationale is for not allowing the papers to be marked by the children. Do they reuse them for the out of area exam the following Saturday? If they did they would have to check every paper to ensure it wasn't marked in any way which surely can't be the case.
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

The reason I picked up on it in the Glouc section was because a previous parent had commented that her DD had wasted valuable time rubbing out marks on her paper that were already on it.

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 78&start=0

As you can see we all reacted in pretty much the same way you lot are. Having said that my own DS did adapt and faired well in the actual test. So don't worry too much as at the end of the day it the same for all of them and yours do have the advantage of knowing before hand.

The joys of this site are without number :) .
neurotic kent mum

Post by neurotic kent mum »

But so irritating. Every book comes with the advice to eliminate - so you get them to do this and then realise(rather late in the day) they can't cross out on the paper!
WesterhamMum

Post by WesterhamMum »

Hi Everyone

My daughter took the Kent test last year and my second daughter takes it this year. Last year I rang KCC about this subject and was told that the children will be asked not to mark the papers but there will be absolutely no problems if they do. I eventually got KCC to email this to me so that I had something in writing in case there was a problem (unfortunately I have a new computer and so do not still have a copy). On the back of this and the advice of our Head Teacher, I told my daughter last year to ignore the request not to mark the paper and her and her friends scribbled all over it as usual and no one pulled them up about it. I have given my second daughter the same instructions this year.

It is crazy to expect the children to juggle the answer sheet, the question sheet and a piece of scrap paper in the time allowed.
Twinkle

Post by Twinkle »

So it all seems as if its down to whether the invigilator polices the rule! Very difficult to know what to tell the children. I've just told my DC to use the scrap paper but this is so much more time consuming and I would rather he wrote on the question paper. And it seems so unfair if one child in Kent writes on the paper and gets stopped (I'm sure I've read elsewhere on this forum of an incidence of this, albeit in another county) and another child in another exam room in Kent doesn't get stopped. What to do?

Who did you contact at KCC about this WesterhamMum? I'm sure you won't remember the name of the individual but do you remember which dept as I am thinking of ringing up.
kentish maid

Post by kentish maid »

You could ask your head. The KCC schools all pair up and usually the head of one local school invigilates for another. I maybe wrong but I think the pairings stay the same each year. Your head may know what their counterparts attitude to writing on the paper is. No harm in asking.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now