Missing Books!

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

neurotic kent mum

Post by neurotic kent mum »

so books go missing, we try not to panic!
medwaymum

Post by medwaymum »

As already stated by Yoyo books are taking for a whole variety of reasons, it doesn't necessarily mean they have been taken for appeal. In my experience the children I've known to have gone through the HT appeal process had their math, literacy and science books taken, not just one book.
We are all jumpy at the moment and can misread into things.
The other point is that if the child is put through appeal the positive aspect is that they must have been very close to passing and the school must think they have enough evidence of levels/work to present a good case.
This is obviously not helpful if you are applying to a super selective but many of us are not.
MJMoore

Post by MJMoore »

My daughter came home yesterday, to tell me that three of them were having to use paper today, because all their books were missing - and all 3 of them have taken the 11+.

I was very laid back about the results until now, but now I'm really anxious! I'm also a bit concerned because all of their year 5 work came home at the end of the year, so there's not much to go by.

Does anyone know whether it's simply the work put forward, or whether the head teachers get to put forward their view?
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

the head teacher puts forward their view, using the work to back it up.
MJMoore

Post by MJMoore »

Thank you yoyo - she's a very good head (well, in my opinion), and I believe that she'll put forward a very good case if she believes in them.

It's hard to think that my daughter may have failed, but it's also nice to know her head has faith in her. I just want the 19th to hurry up now!
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

The waiting is horrible.

I think the September test is much better though.

When it was in January we didn;t find out until school allocation day and then appeals took ages. my son;s friend didn;t know where he was going untl very late in the term and all his friends were off to visit ther new schools. His mum couldn;t even buy uniform until the last minute.

At least this way you know before applying for secondary.

Not long now
:0)
bexmumof2

Post by bexmumof2 »

The whole of my sons class books have been taken whether they took the test or not, I think this saves children trying to work things out for themselves and worrying about something that they might not need to.
medwaymum

Post by medwaymum »

I think thats a great idea, bexmumof2, taking ALL the books. It causes such stress and worry when only some are taken but playing devil's advocate.....maybe also it prepares you a little if your child's books are taken? I'm not sure which is the best actually! :?
medwaymum

Post by medwaymum »

Can anybody tell me if the 'missing books' have been returned yet? The children in DS's class who had their books taken have still not had them returned. DS has not had his books taken, so I'm jumping to conclusions that he is either a)ok and passed or, worryingly b) too far short of the pass mark to appeal for.... :?
twinkles

Post by twinkles »

No, my son hasn't got his back yet.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now