Simon Langton Girls ~ Canterbury

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
alexandra6

Post by alexandra6 »

Sorry - forgot the school trips. She has been to Lille in Y7 (French), Hampton Court (History) and Aylesford Priory (RE) in Y8 and nothing yet in Y9. There was a schiool skiing trip but only 40 places and she wasn't picked, also a pony trekking trip in Y7 but she wasn't interested in that.
We are hoping for some more language trips as she studies French and German (and Latin) but nothing on the cards yet.
jingle

Post by jingle »

Hi there
Homework is supposed to be about 40 mins per subject and usually two subjects a night at BC. However my year 9 dd never seems to spend much more than an hour, maybe slightly more and is doing well. homework in year 7 seemed to take much longer! she has learned how to organize herself and sometimes does a 'job lot' when in a working mood, leaving her with some free evenings for other things.
School trips have been 3 day residential french trip in first term as a sort of 'bonding type' thing for all the newies -This I was a bit worried about but it was a big hit with them all. Trip to dickens world for English, another French one, Boulogne I think . Camping for five days (optional but v popular) Chatham Dockyard, London to see Lion King (also optional) and maybe a couple of others which escape me - Not all squashed into year 7 obviously.

Being kept informed was a bit of a shock because there is definately less contact than with primary school, but most people say that is quite normal in secondary as much larger etc. We have yearly parent eves, termly reports and a fantastic online parent thing to log into timetables, results, detentions and merits gained. Teachers have always responded quickly to any concerns by phone or email and although we have been encouraged to help and support our kids I dont think I can honestly say we are actually encouraged to be part of the school as in primary.

Hope this helps. Sorry if it reads a bit rambling/poorly punctuated/spelling etc. I work nights and have not been to bed for a loooooong time.
katel

Post by katel »

I won't repeat what Alexandra has said - except to say that my dd went on the pony trekking trip in year 7, and to Spain last year for a week of shopping pointing at things and smiling winningly at Spanish waiters. And she came home with a letter today about a trip to Ypres.

The homework hasn't been anything like as tough as I expected. The school has a local reputation for being quite tough academically and I was worried about how dd, who is clever but no high flier would cope, but so far she hasn't had any problems.

She has had lots of opportunity for music and dance and drama and I am pleased the quality of the non academic "tech-y" subjects. All in all, we're very pleased with the choice.
Monicas Mum

Post by Monicas Mum »

Thank you all so much for your input and advice, it really is appreciated.

We are off to look at Langton tomorrow afternoon, I am looking forward to it but also a little apprehensive as we do not have the dreaded results yet! it just seems a little mean to show her a school that she may really feel is the one for her and then only find out on the 19th that she can't go there.

Not sure what to do if we don't go down the GS route, we quite liked Archbishops but she will need to pass the test on Saturday. The other route is to try and get a music place at Canterbury High.

Will probably be picking your brains further over the next couple of weeks, just let me know if you would rather I stopped. Thanks again. x
katel

Post by katel »

Feel free - it's nice that somebody in this neck of the woods wants info for a change. I usually feel completely redundant!

My dd has friends at both those schools, so I'm happy to pass on completely biassed information.

If you see a Langton year 9 with long red hair and horn rimmed glasses, give her a wave - that'll really confuse her!
Monicas Mum

Post by Monicas Mum »

We went along to Langton today and the result is ......

We loved it and our DD loved it:) Now we have our fingers crossed for results day even more!

Kate ~ don't think I saw your DD, would have been fun to have waved and confused her lol

I can so see my DD there, everything was just so up her street. Off to look at Barton Court and Canterbury high next week.

Thanks again. x
jingle

Post by jingle »

Hello,
So glad you found a school you really liked. I know what you mean about being able to 'see them there'. Bit like buying a house in a way, some places just 'feel' right don't they. Best of luck with it all anyway. Hope you get good news on the 19th. My son is also waiting for results but have to admit am not that optimistic about his chances because his performance has ranged from fantastic to dreadful according to how the wind blows! Time will tell and my hair is getting greyer by the day with the stress of it all. :roll:
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

Feel free - it's nice that somebody in this neck of the woods wants info for a change. I usually feel completely redundant!
We should unite!

Forget superselectives , move to East Kent.

It's wonderful, seaside, culture ....beautiful countryside..what more could you ask for?!
:D
jingle

Post by jingle »

Here here! Best move we ever made! Love walking my dog on the beach ! :D
heronsfly

Post by heronsfly »

Hi,
Can I join this corner of Kent thread please?
Although we can only guess ist choices and numbers this year,I am getting the 3am worries about catchments at both Langtons, and QE getting smaller every year. Has anyone any idea how far they reached last year?.