Who else is biting their nails?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

neurotic kent mum

Who else is biting their nails?

Post by neurotic kent mum »

Sadly, I admit, I need to get a life and stop hoping other people will post about their own worries and concerns re their dd/dsss. Fortunately work takes me away from this site - not technologiacally advanced re mobile phone _ but I still return hoping others are also biting their nails and obsessing re the results. Had hoped doing the exam would bring closure - just given me more anxiety. I know nothing can be done but am I the only person feeling sick?
Bexley Mum 2

Post by Bexley Mum 2 »

Neurotic Kent Mum - surprisingly, my nails are in pretty good nick. The skin around the sides is, however, bitten to shreds and I feel permanently queasy at the moment. I've also woken up this morning with a pounding headache. You're not alone!!
rachel'smum

Post by rachel'smum »

Neither of you are alone!! I am totally obsessed with all things 11+. It is the 1st thing on my mind in teh mornign and the last thing at night! I just want the 19th Oct at 4pm to come quickly so I can get on wityh my life lol!!! I feel permenently queezy (or indeed downright sick) and I lurch from feeling quite positive that my daughter will pass to really black moods of negativity!!! And may fingers are also in shreds!!! I had no idea it would be this hard!!! :(
bexmumof2

Post by bexmumof2 »

My nails are fine, however I have been chewing the inside of my mouth. Sadly the whole nerves thing doesn't stop me eating,,,, I wish I was one of those people who was like that. I'm waiting for the Bexley results on 15th, then Kent on 19th so feel your anguish too. I started off this process feeling extrememly possitive about my DS passing, after all I would never have put him in for the Kent test if I thought he wouldn't but now i'm not so sure I think he might be one of those who just miss out. On top of the 11plus results my head is overtaken with the what schools would be available on either result. I keep telling people i'm not stressing about it but I so am..... I'm waking in the night wondering if a better education at a school a distance away from home is the right thing to do weighed up against having local friends etc. Such a hard stressful time for all of us right now, hopefully not for the children too much as i'm sure like me the reason why we are feeling so anxious about it all is because we can't share it.
alexandra6

Post by alexandra6 »

I'm with you all on this - thought I'd be OK as I have been through it before with my DD who is now in good GS Y9 and not in the least bit interested in working hard - she's far more concerned about how short she can make her skirt (rolls the waistband over when she thinks I'm not looking) and how much mascara she can apply. If I confiscate the make up her friends lend her more at break time. And guess what? She scored 140 in all 3 11+ papers 3 years ago. I thought my worries were over... Back to main subject, it is harder waiting for results for DS because he is much more of an unpredictable child and good score anyhting from zero to 140! Have to start looking round other schools as well as grammars tonight and I really don't want to go - must face facts though. Even if he passes there may be an awful lot of siblings taking places at our chosen grammar. Why did I have one boy and one girl, not 2 the same? What else can I find to feel guilty about :?: :?:
greenwichmum

Post by greenwichmum »

Hi Posting here because no one is posting on the bexley forum!

My Daughter took the 1st bexley paper yesterday and has Vr today, like many of you I always thoguht she would pass but now it is here i feel very unsure and have a feeling that she may miss out by just a few marks.

I never thought Iwould get as stressed as this!
Tracy

Post by Tracy »

Ditto.

Well she's in there doing the final test, vr for Bexley, then it's over. Anything could happen and I think we have the monopoly on the unpredictable child. :roll: I would say anything from 0 - 140 but do they do minus numbers? :lol:
WesterhamMum

Post by WesterhamMum »

It is not really so surprising that we are all feeling stressed. I read a comment from someone saying we should all ‘get a life’, but I am sure I am not the only one for whom the decision on the 19th could be life-changing. Unfortunately, a pass is no good for us as we are just over the Kent boundary (no pitch forks please!) so my daughter needs almost full marks to get a governors place at TOGS (it is only a 35 minute journey by bus, my eldest has just started there). If she does not get the marks she needs, as we are not in the catchment area for any other grammars and the local secondary is totally out of the question, we would either have to move home or bankrupt ourselves putting her in an independent.

I am sure many of you have a lot riding on this decision as well, so I think our stress is understandable! Good luck everyone.
bexmumof2

Post by bexmumof2 »

Westerhammum..... we are all here talking about it and stressing for the same reasons we all want the best for our children and will do whatever we can and make whatever sacrifices are necessary to do that so don't feel guilty for living where you do and wanting her to go to a better school elsewhere.

I laughed about your DD1 and her skirt and make up. This is the thing we can guide them in helping them make the choices that could give them a fantastic education but unfortunately it is up to them if they want to grab hold of those chances and use them. She still has time yet and maybe it is just a little phase of her transforming from that little girl who does as she is asked to a young lady who does as she pleases :-).
alexandra6

Post by alexandra6 »

bexmumof2
you're right, at 13years and 1 month she thinks she knows everything but I wish that lovely little girl would come back. Whilst worrying about DS and Kent test this month she thinks my attention is elsewhere (she's partly right) and accuses me of being 'obsessed' with that 11+ forum, which she knows I keep scanning for any scraps of information that might settle my nerves.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now