Birth Months

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
SSM

Post by SSM »

dadoftwo wrote:Hi Yoyo123,

Agreed, you say scores aren't added, this is true, but as you know, two children scoring the same raw score, one born in September, the other in August, the resulting standardised score will be less for the older September child, to allow for a level playing field.

I guess this is the link you were refering?

http://www.nfer.ac.uk/nfer/research/ass ... sation.cfm

The above URL references an example standardisation table, using raw scores, http://www.nfer.ac.uk/nfer/research/ass ... -table.cfm

I hope this helps.
The way that I understand it, is that kids scores are standardised to their age. So if say all the September born children are less bright (don't like that saying but bear with me) than the August born children, then they would potentially need a lesser raw score in order to pass than the August born.
dadofkent

Post by dadofkent »

SSM wrote:
dadoftwo wrote:Hi Yoyo123,

Agreed, you say scores aren't added, this is true, but as you know, two children scoring the same raw score, one born in September, the other in August, the resulting standardised score will be less for the older September child, to allow for a level playing field.

I guess this is the link you were refering?

http://www.nfer.ac.uk/nfer/research/ass ... sation.cfm

The above URL references an example standardisation table, using raw scores, http://www.nfer.ac.uk/nfer/research/ass ... -table.cfm

I hope this helps.
The way that I understand it, is that kids scores are standardised to their age. So if say all the September born children are less bright (don't like that saying but bear with me) than the August born children, then they would potentially need a lesser raw score in order to pass than the August born.
That is my understanding, although using Aug and Sept as examples is probably not aop[propriate, because thet will be at extremes of the school year.
dadoftwo

Post by dadoftwo »

The extreme difference demonstrates the workings perfectly :-) My youngest son is an August born, 29th to be exact, so he is at the extreme end of the scale.

The standardisation is across the children who took the test, not just against children the same age as your own.
SSM

Post by SSM »

One of mine was June born, and it does annoy me when people say that the younger ones get marks added. As it makes it sound like they are less deserving of their place.
Milla

Post by Milla »

A bit like infinity making my head hurt, I really don't understand standardisation. At its basic level (what I used to think it meant) of balancing up the younger by upping their marks a bit I sort of got it (although some of those August Misses are SO sensible and mature in my boy's year cf the silly lads) I could just about get it. Now I see it's about applying a regulation through each month of the cohort and really don't get it. Stare as I might at that uppy downy chart I just feel like a monkey stirring the soup and calling itself a chef.
Longer time on the planet? Same time at school? Differing maturation rates? Boys vs girls? Cleverer? Careless? Not all inequalities can be measured.
Yours, dim and a bit embarrassed.
(for the record, Sept DS1 - very sussed, passed; Nov DS2 NOT sussed, very random, not yet taken test. Gulp)
dadoftwo

Post by dadoftwo »

Hi Milla,

I don't agree with the argument that standardisation means your score is levelled against your own age group, it can't be, it must be across the whole cohort, otherwise it makes no sense. The links I provided show the same.

So a younger (August born) year 6 child has just as much chance as an older (September born) year 6 child. The standardisation levels the playing field, so the potential 12month difference in learning doesn't skew the results. This is then applied across the year group.

cheers
Villagedad

Post by Villagedad »

My apologise if raised before but how do boys and girls generally do against each other....?

In the press its often reported that girls are ahead of boys but wondered if its diferent at 11plus..?
reginaphalangie

Post by reginaphalangie »

In my sons primary - 45 in year group (usually have about 25-35 who pass) This year there were 16 who passed (a couple of children have caused the school real problems with behaviour since the beginning in reception and they have never really got to grips with it I believe). 8 did not take 11plus (including lovely son). Out of the 16 who passed - 11 had September - March birthdays i think (the majority were in the 'older class' as they are a split year group).
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now