Kent Test, Medway Grammar Schools?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Verity

Kent Test, Medway Grammar Schools?

Post by Verity »

Hello... :)

I'm delighted that yesterday my grandson learned that he had passed the Kent Test but he has still to wait until he learns whether or not he has passed the Medway Test. (Nothing like a bit of overkill! :?) We're in a quandary because he lives a significant distance from all of the Kent grammar schools but within the catchment areas for all of the Medway schools. I'm assuming that the Medway schools will take him; why else would he be offered the opportunity to sit the Kent Test? Am I correct in assuming that he can apply for a place at a Medway school? What if he fails the Medway Test, however? (Council Tax is paid to Medway, incidentally.)

I'm sorry if this question has been asked before somewhere but it was only this morning that I discovered that the nearest Kent grammar schools are situate miles from his home, in Sittingbourne and Maidstone. I can only assume there must be an overlap for children in outlying districts.

I shall be interested to know if someone else is in this position, as I'm sure there must be plenty, and to learn from someone's past experience. :)
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Grumpy Old Man »

The two areas are separate.

If it is as last year, passing the Kent test should get you a Kent grammar school place, passing the Medway test should get you a Medway grammar place. They aren't interchangeable as far as I know.
jenhug

Post by jenhug »

you have to choose to take the kent test, being a medway pupil, its not automatic.
He cannot go to a Medway Grammar on a kent pass, it needs to be a Medway pass. Borden Grammar is not too far from Sittingbourne train station, so if he was to fail the medway test you could potentially send him to Borden via train.

I believe you could also use the Kent pass as a tool to appeal with should he fail the kent test, however our head told us the kent test is harder to pass, so you may find he won't have a problem anyway!
Verity

Post by Verity »

Thank you for all your help. I'm very grateful for your responses :) If he has to catch a plane to get to school I just hope he passes the Medway Test! If he doesn't, what does that say about the 11+? I just wish they'd standardise the whole thing - and allow the children to sit the exam. in school, as was once the norm.
jenhug

Post by jenhug »

Tell me about it! My daughter is sitting the Medway test at school tomorrow ( she is special needs) its been terribly difficult shutting your ears off to the playground talk amongst parents etc.

Its so silly.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now