Aggregate score 393 but failed

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Tankey

Aggregate score 393 but failed

Post by Tankey »

Hello, this is my first post and i have read this forum with great interest at 4 in the morning when i got the results :cry:

My daughter scored 140 in VR and 140 in NVR but 113 in maths.
She is level 5 in her SATS last year and they said her story had basic mistakes in it.
Whilst doing the maths paper, the child next to her was sobbing for 20 minutes which I suspect put her off.
Her aggregate is higher than those who passed.....how is this fair????

She doesn't want a grammar school now even if we win the appeal as she says she is a faliure :(

I am upset for her and feel I have let her down :(
Ogremum

Post by Ogremum »

Its not fair :(
It's a rubbish system when childnre under her have got in. I am so sorry.
We were told Kent minimum was 117 in each paper? Howe can it be if her maths was 117? Have you spoken to her head? Are you in Kent yourself?
sorry ((hug))
Yarny

Post by Yarny »

I really feel for you, that is a ridiculously perverse decision and worth appealing. :shock:
Tankey

Post by Tankey »

Ogremum wrote:Its not fair :(
It's a rubbish system when childnre under her have got in. I am so sorry.
We were told Kent minimum was 117 in each paper? Howe can it be if her maths was 117? Have you spoken to her head? Are you in Kent yourself?
sorry ((hug))
Sorry I meant to put 113 in maths....I have 117 on the brain atm :oops:
We are in Tunbridge Wells.....I spose we will end up with Skinners Academy ....
Twinkle

Post by Twinkle »

You must appeal this one Tankey. If the child beside yours was sobbing for 20 mins this must have put your child off. See whether it is possible now to get evidence of this. I imagine the invigilators must keep records. Have you spoken to your HT? - will he/she support your child - eg say that 113 is not representative of your child's ability in maths ( presumably your child has done QCA tests and the school can say what level your child is at in maths etc)

I suggest that you post on the Appeals section - Etienne will be able to give you some sound advice.
Tankey

Post by Tankey »

Yes the HT did appeal, but they turned it down.....he didnt say the boy was sobbing though :?
Milla

Post by Milla »

if the invigilation process was a good and fair one, this will be logged. When my friend's boy appealed, they had the notes from the invigilator - "pencil dropped 09.20", "police sirens went by, 10.13" etc. I was rather impressed by this and can't bank on it having happened at all schools but something as off-putting as sobbing should be on there somewhere and should provide backup, particularly when the other scores are so high and the maths only just shy the mark.
Tankey

Post by Tankey »

Thank you
hamster

Post by hamster »

Sorry to hear your bad news. The maths paper seems to have let a lot of children down this year.

There are other schools apart from the Academy. Have a look at Hillview and Uplands which have good reputations.

Good luck.
Twinkle

Post by Twinkle »

Tankey, you can also do a parental appeal ( different from a HT appeal) to the GS you want after school allocation. Ideally you should get the HT to support you in that.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now