plenty of boys at TWGSB with 420

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

ccbeaney

plenty of boys at TWGSB with 420

Post by ccbeaney »

Having just done two years on a row with 11+ i am relieved its all over, but i am amazed at the snobbery that surrounds the boys grammar schools. My eldest son past with 420 and chose TWGSB as did plenty of other boys in his yr. My second son pasted ,did not do as well (only answered 29 questions in his maths exam before having a gastric stomach bug) but we have chose the same school for him.
Surely you should pick the school which suits your child and not just because it has a super selective tag that goes with it.
There are plenty of boys at TWGSB with higher marks than kids that got into the others.and i so far have found it excellent but just wished that the boys that go there were given the same tag as Judd and Skinners boys.
:(
SSM

Post by SSM »

Didn't you know that TWGSB is third in the pecking order :wink: :lol:

Seriously, I agree totally with you. We looked around the three boys GSs and felt that Skinners was right for our son. I can honestly say that it had nothing to do with results.
kentsussexborder

Post by kentsussexborder »

My nephew goes to TWBGS and is very happy there - he chose it because they did football, not rugby.

We're opting for Skinners because it's our closest and easiest to get to, it felt 'right' for my DS and also because DH went there (albeit many years ago now) so this has swung DS's choice in that direction.

People do choose schools for many different reasons - however I do agree there are certain preconceptions as once we found out DS had scored very highly everyone assumed we would opt for Judd.
tonbridgemum

Post by tonbridgemum »

ccbeaney, you are right as all the boys there passed and the marks will be not that much different from the Judd/skinners boys, if not the same. The homework pressures are certainly the same :shock:
My DS has just started at TWGSB and has had more homework than my DS that went to Judd in year 7! Hope they ease off a bit. can take him 2 hours some nights. :(
hamster

Post by hamster »

You are so right. I also know boys with 420 who chose TWBGS because they preferred the less regimented atmosphere.

But it always amazes me how many people don't even consider it as an option - it has to be Skinners or Judd only.
strobeme

Post by strobeme »

Totally Agree with those who say that we should be choosing the school which is "best" for their son or daughter .- not just because their academic ability is high, or the school with the best results.

This is from parents who are seriously considering (no we haven't finally made up our mind still yet), a non-selective school for our son who got 420 in the kent exam!
kentmum1

Post by kentmum1 »

ccbeaney - I felt just the same as you two years ago - it's a very emotive subject! - my son got a high score but had chosen TWGSB (ouselves also). I also had comments such as 'didn't you consider Judd/Skinners'. We liked Skinners also but TWGSB felt more suited to our son. I agree that you have to choose the school, regardless of the kudos! At the time, it really irked me but I am over that now as he is doing so well. My son is now in Y9 and finished last year in the top 12 of the year group and gets a top assessment every term. There seems to be so much going on there, including many trips, which is one of the reasons we chose it. The School is extremely rounded and that was a big attraction. Our second son has gone to Bennett but would have loved to have gone to TWGSB.
SSM

Post by SSM »

We had the same when we chose Skinners, people were asking if we were going to appeal to Judd.

I do think a lot of people choose Judd and use it as a 'status' symbol to say how clever their boy is.

I even know people that preferred the feel of other schools, and yet put Judd as first choice :shock: go figure :!:
tonbridgemum

Post by tonbridgemum »

Another reason to end the 'super selective' title and have the same admission process! :roll:
doodles

Post by doodles »

Would just be nice to have a local grammar school that wasn't a long bus or train ride away from us. If we had a local grammar would definately choose it over "super selective" - that just happens to be our nearest.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now