Wilmington and distance

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

trumpet

Wilmington and distance

Post by trumpet »

Can anyone give me an idea of the limit on distance for Wilmington please. I'm bexley borough can was wondering if its worth putting my son in for kent tests.
Bomper

Post by Bomper »

I live in Bexleyheath and my son goes to Wilmington :D. A friend in his class lives in Thamesmead. They went out 5.8 miles last year. Dd is in Yr 5 and I will definitely be putting her in for the Kent Test too. Hope this helps.
princesspeach

Post by princesspeach »

my friend ds got in they are about 8 miles
trumpet

Post by trumpet »

Thanks guys, Both very helpful. Can you tell me where I can find those details about the distance they went out previous years. Bexley print these in their admissions booklet but I cant see it in kents version. Also just to double check, Its as the crow fly's for Wilmington isn't it?
mystery

Post by mystery »

You should e-mail the school asking them to let you know (for several prior years to give you more of a feel) what distance they offered out to on 1 March, and what distance this extended to after the waiting list process etc.

You could also ask them if they have a feel for whether you will have a higher or lower chance from your address next year. Sometimes schools are aware of things that might make a difference in the future.
when the process will end

Post by when the process will end »

Trumpet

You should consider Dartford Grammar for Boys also. Generally they admit more than 75 boys based on their score only in the Kent test and I have read somewhere that this year their cut-off on 1st March was a score of 395.
Bomper

Post by Bomper »

Yes, they measure as the crow flys in Kent, as opposed to by road in Bexley. Wilmington is a lovely school with a really friendly unintimidating atmosphere. My son is really flourishing there and I am so glad I put him in for the Kent Test too, he failed the Bexley test by 1 point :roll:
Tracy

Post by Tracy »

I would advise all Bexley kids to take the Kent Test as well, just as a back up, as anything can happen on the day. When the results come in you can make an informed choice of schools.
Better than kicking yourself after the event! :roll:
trumpet

Post by trumpet »

I've just about got to grips with the bexley system. Is Kent

140/Maths
140/VR
140/NVR

As bexley is but only over the two VR and Maths tests? Giving a combined score out of 420.

Your all being very helpful. Thanks
when the process will end

Post by when the process will end »

Trumpet

You are right about Kent.

The maximum possible score is 420 and the pass mark is 360. You should individually score higher than 115 or thereabout in each paper also.

In Bexley the maximum score is 280.

The important difference you should however note is that getting 140 in Kent is completely different to getting 140 in Bexley.

Normally if a child gets 75% or more in each test they get 140 in the Kent test. But to get 140 in Bexley the child will have to get nearer to 98% to 100% mark in each subject.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now