Anyone from Herne Bay offered a place at Barton Court?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
tiredmum

Post by tiredmum »

SSM wrote:Looking on the 'other' web site, I don't think it made much difference this year if you put a comp on the CAF.

It seems that KCC havc changed track form last year and have allocated children with 'close all ability schools' rather than GS which are miles away.
I thought this was illegal - i thought they allocated using the over-subscription rules for each school? so the council go to the first choice and see - using these rules - if there is a place. If there isnt they then go to the second choice and so on :?
SSM

Post by SSM »

Sorry my post wasn't too clear.

If KCC could not offer a place at any of the GSs listed on the CAF, in the past they offered a place at a GS that did have places available, this resulted in children in West Kent being offered East Kent GSs. However this year, if KCC could not offer a place at a listed GS then they offered a place at a local 'all ability school'.
Blakesmum

Post by Blakesmum »

We found out this weekend that there are kids that live alot closer to Herne Bay High than us, and didn't get a place. (we are in broomfield)
We are appealing for a grammar so don't particularly want the place, but i think we were only given it because they couldn't offer a grammar, and if they gave us something else we would then add to the numbers that didn't get any of their preferences!!
We put it 4th in part to pacify our son who was dead set against the alternatives. We were then stunned to get it, as others have been given CCW, Spires or the Chaucer??
mystery

Post by mystery »

Blakesmum, have you some hard and accurate information that suggests that the LEA has not allocated places in accordance with the admission policy for Herne Bay High as set out below? If so, you should tell all the people concerned to appeal with this information about the incorrect application of the admission policy: (By the way, if the people you are talking about who did not get HBH had not put it on their CAF, then this is why you got it and they did not ..... you need to know this before working out whether something has gone wrong or not).

Herne Bay High School Admission Arrangements for entrance into Year 7 in September 2010

Herne Bay High School admits student from the area of Herne Bay as defined by the CT6 postcode. The number of intended admissions for Year 7 is 258.

Priority Order

Children in Local Authority Care. A child under the age of 18 years for who the local authority provides accommodation by agreement with their parents/carers (Section 20 of the Children Act) or who is subject to a care order under Part IV of the Act.

Current Family Association. A brother or sister on the roll of Herne Bay High School at the time of entry. In this context brother or sister means children who live as brother or sister in the same house, including adopted siblings, stepbrothers or sisters and foster brothers or sisters.

Proximity of a student’s home to the school, with those residing in the CT6 postcode area and livingclosest being given highest priority, as measured in the straight line from the school using Ordnance Survey grid references.

[/b]
frustrated

Post by frustrated »

Hi, all

I live in Central Whitstable, and my son is the only child in this area as far as I am aware to be refused any Grammar school place, and we have been offered CCW instead. I understand that there are children in Swalecliffe in the same situation too. I have been told today that he was offered CCW because it was on his list of choices, and if it hadn't have been, he would have been offered Chaucer. Makes no sense to me.

Apparantly we literally missed out by less than half a mile for both grammar schools.

Still, am going to crack on and appeal, but am finding it hard to put good enough reasons down! Phoned Chatham house on advice from my headteacher, in the hope that they still have places and they told me that some Herne Bay children had got in there, but some Ramsgate children hadn't, although I know that they use a good VR score in their criteria and they don't have any places left anyway.

Borden Court is the only Grammar school that still has places at the moment, but for our own reasons, we are not even going to consider it.

My fault I suppose for putting CCW on the SCAF anyway.

I wonder if any Herne Bay or Swalecliffe Children got into either QE or SLB without the sibling link though?
mystery

Post by mystery »

Why doesn't it make sense to you? The two grammars (only two?) you put down were full, so you got a school you put further down your SCAF.

If there are other grammars you would have preferred to the non-selective, why didn't you put them on your form?

There are four spaces on the form aren't there? And now you know the 11+ results before you have to fill in the CAF it's so much easier than it used to be.

If you had four grammar schools that you could travel to, you could put four down on the CAF, but if there was a chance of not getting in to any of them because of distance or score, then it would be sensible to put down a non-selective that you were not too unhappy with that you can get to, and that you are likely to get a place at.

Then remember, that after 1 March if you are unhappy with your allocaton you can go on waiting lists and appeal for as many schools as you wish (slightly later for schools you did not put on your CAF).

Good luck
frustrated

Post by frustrated »

Sorry, didn't make myself clear.

We chose grammar schools, not just because they are grammar schools, but taking into consideration other reasons too.

We were advised that if we only put grammar schools down, we would definitely get a grammar, but not necessarily the one that we wanted.

Our third choice was difficult because for us, there really wasn't a third choice, and it wouldn't matter whether we put an all ability school or a grammar school on the form, we would still be in the situation anyway, because there are only two schools, both of them grammar that we felt were suitable, and we didn't want to risk having to travel to the other side of kent.

I know we have been fussy and only have two grammars on our list, but that is our choice; it wasn't a case of just any grammar schools, it was particular ones, but we will be appealing anyway and see how it goes.
Blakesmum

Post by Blakesmum »

Frustrated, do you mean Barton Court??

SLBS and QE haven't reached in to herne bay again this year. I THINK im right in saying SLBS intake didn't quite reach the out skirts of herne bay.
Children from still water park got Barton court, but it doesn't sound like it went much further than that.

Could i ask if you mean Barton court where did you hear they still have places??
jingle

Post by jingle »

My daughter attends Barton Court and all places have been offered. Borden Grammar, however is rumoured to have spaces.
frustrated

Post by frustrated »

blakesmum, I mean Borden - they still have spaces, Kent Admisions team told me today. Every other grammar is now full.