No Grammar School Place

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Marsbar989

No Grammar School Place

Post by Marsbar989 »

:cry:

Passed 11+, applied for 4 Grammar schools, not got one.

Anybody know what the passmark is for Tunbridge Grammar for boys, Oakwood or Maidstone Grammar is?

Is it worth appealing?

Is it worth going on the waiting list?

Can you wait on more than one list?

Thanks
SSM

Post by SSM »

Sorry to hear your news.

Tunbridge Wellls Grammar for boys allocate spaces on distance so a mininum pass mark of 360 is required. I'm afraid I don't know about the other two.

I would suggest you call TWGSB and ask them how far out they offered places. That way you will be able to judge how realistic it is that you will be offered a place.

You could also appeal, last year TWGSB had to put on an extra form for all the boys that went to appeal and gained a place.

Good luck, and don't forget there is normally quite a bit of movement between now and September.
WesterhamMum

Post by WesterhamMum »

Hi Marsbar989

I am very sorry to hear your news. I'm afraid I do not know much about the boys schools but I do know that you can go on as many waiting lists as you like and have nothing to lose. You can also appeal for as many as you like. According to the figures, after the appeals there are very few children who passed the 11+ who are left without a grammar school place, so I would imagine you would have a good chance at getting into one of the schools.

Good luck
SSM

Post by SSM »

Sorry, didn't answer your last question. Yes, you can go onto more than one waiting list.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

Sorry to hear that

If you decide to go down the appeal route , have a look at the appeals section on here. There is a very useful question and answers bit which is helpful
dadofkent

Re: No Grammar School Place

Post by dadofkent »

Marsbar989 wrote::cry:

Passed 11+, applied for 4 Grammar schools, not got one.

Anybody know what the passmark is for Tunbridge Grammar for boys, Oakwood or Maidstone Grammar is?

Is it worth appealing?

Is it worth going on the waiting list?

Can you wait on more than one list?

Thanks
MGS is above 390 in specified catchment parishes, and then above 360 on distance in catchment parishes. Heavily oversubscribed. Oakwood is "basic pass" and then distance. No chance with MGS, worth investigating possibilty of Oakwood. Not sure whether it gives priority to scheme of education, which I understand would not include Paddock Wood.
Marsbar989

Post by Marsbar989 »

WesterhamMum wrote:Hi Marsbar989

I am very sorry to hear your news. I'm afraid I do not know much about the boys schools but I do know that you can go on as many waiting lists as you like and have nothing to lose. You can also appeal for as many as you like. According to the figures, after the appeals there are very few children who passed the 11+ who are left without a grammar school place, so I would imagine you would have a good chance at getting into one of the schools.

Good luck
Do you happen to have the figures for last year that after appeals kids not with grammar places? thanks
WesterhamMum

Post by WesterhamMum »

I'll send you a PM
Blakesmum

Post by Blakesmum »

Hi we're in the same situation. My DS has been offered a place at the local high school instead of a grammar.

I'd like to know if the appeals for those with out a place are heard before those who are appealing to be 'deemed suitable for grammar'.

We are appealing to three schools and going on three waiting lists.
Just feel it is all so unfair and unjust.

Could certainly do without the stress right now!! :evil:
U400JB9

Post by U400JB9 »

Blakesmum wrote:Hi we're in the same situation. My DS has been offered a place at the local high school instead of a grammar.

I'd like to know if the appeals for those with out a place are heard before those who are appealing to be 'deemed suitable for grammar'.

We are appealing to three schools and going on three waiting lists.
Just feel it is all so unfair and unjust.

Could certainly do without the stress right now!! :evil:

My understanding is your appeal will be heard before mine....we failed the Kent test by 1 point
Good luck...passing and not being offered a place is so unfair