Read this in our local paper and with the comments about grammar school places and allocation frustration this year, I am wondering if KCC are 'bending' the rules, or being quoted out of context.(see highlighted part)
"EIGHT out of 10 children have been offered a place at their first-choice secondary school in Kent this year, a small increase on last year.
Thousands of 10-and 11-yearolds found out on Monday the outcome of their applications for secondary school places.
But a computer glitch meant a number of parents were able to find out sooner than expected after several were able to access a website notifying them of their applications a day earlier.
County education chiefs say more than 80 per cent of children â€“ 12,725 pupils â€“ will be going to the school they most wanted in September, compared with 78.5 per cent last year.
A further 11 per cent were allocated a place at their second preference â€“ 1,753 children.
Almost four per cent â€“ 620 children â€“ did not receive a place at any of the four schools they opted for and were allocated a school by the council. About 17,500 applications were processed this year, with 15,890 coming from Kent families.
But as in previous years, the scramble for places at the most heavily over-subscribed schools has resulted in disappointment for some. KCC said about 100 children who passed the 11-plus had not at this stage been offered a grammar school place.
[b]Cllr Sarah Hohler (Con), KCC cabinet member for childrenâ€™s services, said that did not mean those children would not eventually be offered a grammar school place, adding: â€œLast year, parents told us they did not like being offered a place that involved a long journey. This does not mean we have no available places at grammars, but for now we have allocated a place at a wide-ability school which is much nearer to their home.â€