Dartford or Gravesend

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

NEW2THIS

Post by NEW2THIS »

thanks kentmum3. Although I don't know much about Gravesend Grammar - I'd go for Dartford, if my DS was lucky enough to get in.
SSM

Post by SSM »

I suggest you visit as many schools as you can before you decide which is best for your son.

I know that Dartford has a good record academically, but there is more involved with a child being happy at a school than the number of children which gain 5 GCSE A*-C.
kentmum3

Post by kentmum3 »

SSM - we visited several schools including Dartford, Gravesend and Wilmington. DS was keen on both Dartford and Gravesend, as were both myself and DH.

NEW2THIS - good luck
SSM

Post by SSM »

I didn't mean to criticise or to say that your didn't, it was in reply to Newtothis post saying that she did not know much about Gravesend Grammar but would choose Dartford.

I also know from personal experience, we always had a school in mind for our eldest but when we visited all the GSs in the area that school ended up being our least favourite even though it is probably the most academic.

I always recommend going on the 'feel' of the school. Luckily this has so far worked for us.
NEW2THIS

Post by NEW2THIS »

Thanks SSM. Yes, we plan to look at as many schools as possible.
mystery

Post by mystery »

Someone higher up in this thread said you need to put a school first to have chance of getting in to it. WRONG. Clearly if you put a school third, and your first or second choices are able to have you, you will get your first or second choice rather than third choice, so you would not put your favourite school third choice!!

But in no other way does placing a school lower down your preferences affect your likelihood of being offered a place. Anyone who tells you this is either misinformed, or very out of date.

Best thing is to read the LEA admissions booklet for admission to secondary school, the admissions policies for the schools you are interested in, and ask the schools direct about any extra info you need (and take that with a pinch of salt).

Good luck.
familyinthevalley

Post by familyinthevalley »

I'm a definite fan of GGS. I believe two major differences however are the Sixth Form - DGS is IB as far as I know, whereas GGS has not done a total switch, the offer both IB and A levels. So if that is a consideration for your preference at sixth form....might be something you want to consider.

The one main thing that I love about GGS is the 'all roundedness' of the school. In terms of academic ability - I recall two years ago when my son got his GCSE results, we had 6 boys in science GCSE's who received letters from Edexcel saying that out of the 72000 odd students that sat the exams - they scored in the top ten, and a couple got the same letter in maths. I think that the overall 'standing' was lower than DGS, but all it takes two boys to bring down the whole of the stats to a lower level. However, if you look at the Value Added scores, that might give you an indication of how children progress in relation to their levels when they started the school.

A couple of things I can tell you in total honesty: When OFSTED visits - the school runs as normal - there's no fancy stuff pulled out the bag. When you go and visit for an open morning - a young year 7 boy will show you around, who by that time, has only been there a few weeks themselves. These boys don't know the 'right' thing to say, they are simply honest with the questions that you ask. Again, the school on these open mornings, is as it runs normally every day.

One thing I recall the HT saying about his school 'we work hard, we play hard' - and they do. There is lots in the way of extracurricular clubs, sporting events - they celebrate all achievements made in or out of school. The PTA is very generous in terms of buying items that are not in the curriculum budget - and the boys benefit from these a great deal.

In terms of behaviour - In six years of lugging things through the school as a pta parent - I never once had to open a door, boys were always willing and helpful to help me bring things from my car. At discos which are run - we used to have one about every two months - in six years, I can honestly say I only ever had one boy who in my opinion was 'rude'. I think he was actually showing off to the girls :) but, when told it wouldn't be tolerated - he was always polite and well mannered afterwards. They have a fear of being sent to the HT - as they know that rules are enforced and that certain behaviours just are not tolerated. However, there is also a healthy respect.

My son in Year 13 recalls several times when the HT himself has gone in and taught a cover class. He knows the boys, he greets them at least once a week on the door for uniform check and to say good morning, he knows his students, and they know him. If at any time a student needed to see the HT, I know that he would make the time to see them.

When I have gone to parent teacher meetings - the comments being made are well thought out, they are definitely pertaining to my child. Report cards are very personalised, not a 'drag and drop' that my other son had at his high school.

Again, the HT treats his students with respect, he treats his staff with respect.

Anyways - I could go on.....and on......and on, about why I was so desperate to get my son into GGS in September - having had one go through there - and knowing the school so well, I just know it's the right place for him.

Go to the open mornings, go to the open evening (that's the one meant to impress with amazing science experiments, displays from the various clubs etc.) - but while you're there, talk to the boys, see how your son reacts to the place.

And then......do the same at DGS - and choose the one that 'feels' right for your son :) Good luck!
mystery

Post by mystery »

But if you really want a grammar school place for your child, be glad if you get a place at either of them!
familyinthevalley

Post by familyinthevalley »

mystery wrote:But if you really want a grammar school place for your child, be glad if you get a place at either of them!
Of course, but do it in your order of preference! No point in putting your second choice down as first choice and getting offered it!
NEW2THIS

Post by NEW2THIS »

Thanks familyinthevalley for the detailed reply.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now