Can we have a sticky please on how school allocation works?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
doodles

Post by doodles »

KSB - exactly as explained to me by KCC and I understood everyword you wrote except PAN! Well done and would be a very good sticky.

Thanks
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad !
kentsussexborder

Post by kentsussexborder »

I think it's a mythical creature who played the pipes... or have I been reading too much Percy Jackson.

PAN is an acronym for something but I think basically it's the maximum number of pupils a school can in take in any one year group.
Twinkle

Post by Twinkle »

Its the Published Admission Number
doodles

Post by doodles »

Oooh somebody in the "know" don't let on too much Twinkle or you will be inundated! No seriously Twinkle, thankyou makes some posts I've read a whole lot clearer!!!!
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad !
Twinkle

Post by Twinkle »

Happy to help Doodles :D
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

we used to have to do the PANDA

(data acquisition,boringly)
dadofkent

Post by dadofkent »

kentsussexborder wrote:They work their way down the list until all the places are filled and all the applicants are listed in rank/qualification order.
They must rank all applicants, beyond just filling places, or PAN. The schools do not know the applicants other preferences, and whether they have higher preferences for other schools.
dadofkent

Post by dadofkent »

Whilst your intentions are laudable KSB, I cannot help thinking that all that needs to be put in a sticky is "MAKE SURE YOU READ AND UNDERSTAND THE ADMISSIONS BOOKLET", which it would seem many people have failed to do. The Booklet does explain the process clearly and simply, insofar as is reasonably possible. It even gives examples along the lines of John put these preferences on his CAF form, and Janet put these preferences on hers, and these are the schools they were allocated because.....
mystery

Post by mystery »

Yes I think I tend to agree, as I'm sure in most authorities a lot of time is spent writing the admissions booklet in plain English.

I would draw attention to:
- the booklet
- admissions policies for each school (these are sometimes somewhere separate from the booklet)

But, I think it could be worth explaining a bit more about what you can do if you don't get a school you want on National Admission Day (apply to schools not just on your CAF, waiting lists, appeals)

And maybe dispelling some common fallacies? e.g.

better just to put one school down,

have to put a school first to get it,

can only go on waiting lists for schools on CAF,

waiting list is first come first served,

my DC passed the 11+ so I have a right to a GS place,

I'm high up the waiting list so I have a better chance at appeal

I didn't get the school I wanted the LEA must have made a mistake it's so unfair!!
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

it does boil down to read several times before writing anything down.

The site is undergoing a spring clean and there are plans to include advice about CAF forms, etc
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now