How is everyone getting on for the sep 2010 test?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

doodles

Post by doodles »

Sherry_d - do try First News if you haven't yet, it really whets the appetite. Both DS's like it.

Also DS1 is Rugby mad so we got him a subscription to Rugby World - he reads it cover to cover. Is there anything that your DC is interested in that has a mag attached - it may seem indulgent but it works! :wink:
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad !
mad?

Post by mad? »

Milla wrote:YES YES YES!!!! Isn't it just b****y marvellous!!!
Yes, fan 'can't say because WP will edit me' tastic :lol:

Woohoo!!!!! Honestly, reading that post it has really only just sunk in...that and it being Friday night, OH out with DC for the night and glass of wine in hand!
mad?
Milla

Post by Milla »

ah, OH out, me IN with the DC. Glass in hand. All so samey we could be twins!
mosemant

Post by mosemant »

Sherry - d, I do admire your enthusiasm for your child's education, I really do. I did not mean to sound upsetting atall but just wanted to express the opinion to be careful not to go too far in over tutoring your child. I think this is an important point. In my own school, I have seen countless overtutored children this year, who were totalluy stressed out and nervous by the day of the exam. I would also be careful about teaching vocabulary in a kind of list format because you may find that this goes in to short term rather than long term memory. Try to find a way that your child can enjoy books. Yes you can pass exams without reading, but enjoying reading is important and I wouldn't give up on that part.

Why should I not express an opinion, Milla - because it is different from yours? because I took a more holistic approach to my son's entry into grammar school? sherry d asked for advice, did she not?

I think it is important I express my opinion on here, because thankfully I discovered this site after the exam, otherwise I would have freaked out at some of the posts and thought I should be doing something different...

So for all of you who have found this and have a bright child and are not tutoring (either paid or home) excessively, it can be done..

for all those of you who are excessively tutoring, I wish you luck but please take care not to overstress your child.
sherry_d

Post by sherry_d »

mosemant wrote: So for all of you who have found this and have a bright child and are not tutoring (either paid or home) excessively, it can be done..
How about those of us without bright kids, should they not be given a chance? You sound like you have a genious and you must count yourself lucky and hopefully it stay that way for you when he is at St O. I would very much love to have a holistic approach with DD just reading and getting into a such great school. However like everyone said, you have to know your child and I know mine needs that extra help and she is happy ploughing along. What she doesnt want she wont do, like the reading so you can never force a child if they dont want to do it.

As for over tutoring well its really how you define it and I would rather over tutor and give her the best chance of ever getting 5 GCSEs. Our kids also go to different primary schools and some receive outstanding education such there is little to do with them. Yes they may struggle in the gramnmar but is that not better when they are going for get 5 GCSEs than be stuck in a bad schoool where its a minority who get 5 GCSE. I am from old school maybe and think its really important to get the basic GCSEs even if you're going to be a footballer.

Time to rest on my laurels, its friday after all :roll:
Impossible is Nothing.
mystery

Post by mystery »

The Kent forum has really improved in the last few months. It used to be either terribly dull (excessive congratulations or commiserations) or months of inactivity, with the odd flash of interest in the battle between the xenophobic of sevenoaks and the oocs.

Thanks everyone.
omg

Post by omg »

This site rocks. I think Friday nites are always a cracker as everyone hits the vino... :roll:
omg

Post by omg »

PS Milla bring back the baby, all is forgiven 8)
bingybongy

Post by bingybongy »

mystery wrote: with the odd flash of interest in the battle between the xenophobic of sevenoaks and the oocs.
Classic comment...love it :lol:
mad?

Post by mad? »

bingybongy wrote:
mystery wrote: with the odd flash of interest in the battle between the xenophobic of sevenoaks and the oocs.
Classic comment...love it :lol:
ditto :lol:
mad?
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now