NVR test 2009

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
T12ACY

NVR test 2009

Post by T12ACY »

Quick question for you, am sure someone out there will have a superb memory or know where to get this information from.

For the September 2009 NVR Kent Test what was the format? Ideally I would like to know how many sections and how many questions in each section?

Thank you in advance :wink:
long and winding road

Post by long and winding road »

I know they were different from the Nfer papers as each section as I recall had to be done in only 6 minutes so less q's per section. There is a thread on here somewhere about this as there was some issue with the timing. If I can find the thread will let you know.
T12ACY

Post by T12ACY »

Thank you. This would be incredibly helpful, I have tried looking for a relevant post but there are so many to look at!
long and winding road

The thread is titles "NVR TIMING ISSUE" on Pg5 - sorry I don't know how to copy it - but it doesn't really help anyway - sorry. Am sure people will post with better info than mine.
T12ACY

Post by T12ACY »

I have found one post that states there were 18 questions over 9 minutes, which given the test was 40 minutes would suggest there were only 4 sections.
Previously there had been 12 questions over 6 minutes, suggesting there were 6 sections.
It is relevant to our appeal (only for my preperation of questions though) as DS can't remember how many he didn't answer but it was 1 or 2 in each section, so could be anything from 4 - 12! I simply want to be prepared for the question 'Why did he not answer them?' and the counter of 'everyone else was in the same situation'. Of course I know all of that, just don't want to get caught out and sit there looking like a startled rabbit....

If anyone could confirm the format that would be super :P
long and winding road

It seems that whatever the format - they may argue that it is irrelevant as long as they get 1min per 2 Q's - can you show that your child wasn't given enough time because the invigilator messed up - if so, I would imagine you have a good argument. It shouldn't matter that other children in the same situation may have scored highly - the point is whether it affected YOUR child's score - those that scored highly might have been brilliant at NVR and not affected by the messed up timing, just show that your DC was. Don't know if that helps. Good Luck!
bromley mum

Post by bromley mum »

There were 18 questions and four sections. I am sorry I don't remember how much time was allowed per section. KCC had allowed parents to view the papers. It might be worth giving them a call and explain your situation and ask if you can see the papers. They may say its too late but worth a shot, I think.
long and winding road

Ah it's coming back to me now - there were 18 q's and they should have had 9 mins but one group of children apparently were only given 6 mins as invigilator messed up. If your DC was one of these T12ACY jsut gather as much evidence as you can from parents of other children affected. It's got to have made a difference to a lot of kids who don't find NVR easy.
T12ACY

Post by T12ACY »

I doubt very much if he was the one group affected by the timing problem, but how can I find out if he was?

Also can I ask to view his acutal papers, and if so who do I ask? The HT informs me that the school did not even view them as they are packed up immediately by the invigilator and sent off, which is standard practice.

Not that it makes much difference but DS did not miss 1 or 2 questions which he found difficult, they were the final 1 or 2 questions in each section. He gave his best effort at the ones he answered, typically he may well have been able to answer the ones he missed and got them correct, or at least 1 of them which would have been the difference!
long and winding road

I think the ones that were affected sat in the smaller room and not the large hall. You can ring up KCC and arrange to view the papers - or at least you could - not sure if you still can. It does sound like he had timing problem with each section so maybe he was one of the ones affected. When doing them at home how did he fare re timing?
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now