2010 sitters for 2011 admissions

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
paulap

Post by paulap »

My children sat the Medway test and we had a tutor. She came once a week for an hour and we thought this was plenty as it's pretty heavy stuff - she also left them two pieces of homework. She actually tutored my twins together but did warn us at the outset that they may need individual lessons nearer the 11+ but luckily for my purse they didn't.
PP2010

Post by PP2010 »

medwaymum wrote:Just a caution, I know plenty of children who have been deemed G&T in math/english who haven't passed the Kent test (can't have done practice papers I assume). Definitely keep up the practice. Personally I would say 2 seperate sessions of 1 hour would be better than a 2hr stretch in one go....even us adults struggle to concentrate for that long 100%!

Good luck :)
I was advised by my child's teacher that tutoring wasn't necessary as my child is in the top sets.

But as you say, how much exam practise have they done? I know my child has poor concentration and tends to rush at exams and so fail miserably.

That's why I am looking for a tutor, to help him learn exam technique.
sherry_d

Post by sherry_d »

PP2010 wrote: I was advised by my child's teacher that tutoring wasn't necessary as my child is in the top sets.
I wouldnt buy into this, 11+ is a different cattle of fish from SATS. After all she is in top sets in your school, how does thats compare to the whole of Kent she will be marked on? Remember she will be competing with other kids from the top table too. In Maths for example there is a lot they wouldnt have covered in class, VR and NVR is just something a child needs practice on even if they have good vocabularly.

The only thing is for a very bright child in a decent school they may need less time to practice.
Impossible is Nothing.
Just1-2go

Post by Just1-2go »

sherry_d wrote:
PP2010 wrote: I was advised by my child's teacher that tutoring wasn't necessary as my child is in the top sets.
I wouldnt buy into this, 11+ is a different cattle of fish from SATS. After all she is in top sets in your school, how does thats compare to the whole of Kent she will be marked on? Remember she will be competing with other kids from the top table too. In Maths for example there is a lot they wouldnt have covered in class, VR and NVR is just something a child needs practice on even if they have good vocabularly.

The only thing is for a very bright child in a decent school they may need less time to practice.
Hear hear! If your child is in a state school they will also be up against a lot of children from the private sector who are taught VR as a subject at least through year 5 and will be covering all the maths necessary. On principle I don't agree with tutoring but unfortunately it isn't a level playing field so you may disadvantage your child if you don't (either home or otherwise).
Midget Man

Post by Midget Man »

I am not against tutoring of any sort, but when I read of children being started in yr3/yr4 it make's me feel very sad. I don't think a child would learn more in 2 years that they would in just 6 month's, but obviously everybody feel's different about this, just hope people are careful to not over pressure such young children.

All the best luck for your future test date's, I am so pleased it's over with another 4 years before the next one :?
PP2010

Post by PP2010 »

Just1-2go wrote:
sherry_d wrote:

Hear hear! If your child is in a state school they will also be up against a lot of children from the private sector who are taught VR as a subject at least through year 5 and will be covering all the maths necessary. On principle I don't agree with tutoring but unfortunately it isn't a level playing field so you may disadvantage your child if you don't (either home or otherwise).
Thank you both for your input. I hadn't even thought of that :shock:
Villagedad

Post by Villagedad »

Midget Man wrote:I am not against tutoring of any sort, but when I read of children being started in yr3/yr4 it make's me feel very sad. I don't think a child would learn more in 2 years that they would in just 6 month's, but obviously everybody feel's different about this, just hope people are careful to not over pressure such young children.
I would be interested in hearing people's views here, because if parents want to start tutoring 1 or 2 yrs before the exam itself, so long as it is kept light is it no different to what private schools are doing from yr 4 (and sometimes yr 3)..?
mosemant

Post by mosemant »

I am a teacher and would also like to warn about overturtoring. I have seen so many children this year get very pressurised by well meaning but over the top parents.

I would do some tutoring maybe, an hour a week at most, and lots of reading to your child. I can't stress enought the importance of reading.

I have expressed this opinion before and got totally shot down by sherry d and her possy. Yes, do help to make it a level playing field but also bear in mind that this site is quite biased towards tutoring!

If your child is bright, then 2 hours may not be that much of an effort but still take care to consider the overall message you are giving to your child...
pheasantchick

Post by pheasantchick »

My child consistently perfoms well in school test and a year ago I debated about tutors. 10 months on, I'm glad I did.

Alot, however, have not been directly focussed on the 11+ exam but improving maths standards etc. Also, they have introduced him to verbal and non-verbal questions.

The reason for tutoring? - so he's familiar when he goes into the exam and knows what to expect. Hopefully, this will reduce stress, rather than increase it.

Many people feel able to guide their children through the exam using Bond books etc - maybe you'll can go down this route. Some people do this just for the summer holidays, others throughout the whole year.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now