Nfer % marks query

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
committed

Post by committed »

I am so sorry and I hope that it wasn't as bad as you feared. I truly hope that things work out...

I'd never realised that they were grouped before and will go back and take a proper look. I wouldn't mind but the kids school had an evening on the 11+ and this was the question I asked and got the response that it was all mixed with no sections and no grouping!! However I have just asked the question on the VR section as the new VR practice papers do break it up into the different question types - so it may be that this is what to expect.

I guess it doesn't really matter too much - but I am keen to make sure that in as far as possible my DS knows what to expect.

Good luck.

C.
T12ACY

Post by T12ACY »

committed wrote:I am so sorry and I hope that it wasn't as bad as you feared. I truly hope that things work out...

I'd never realised that they were grouped before and will go back and take a proper look. I wouldn't mind but the kids school had an evening on the 11+ and this was the question I asked and got the response that it was all mixed with no sections and no grouping!! However I have just asked the question on the VR section as the new VR practice papers do break it up into the different question types - so it may be that this is what to expect.

I guess it doesn't really matter too much - but I am keen to make sure that in as far as possible my DS knows what to expect.

Good luck.

C.
I may have misunderstood what the LA were saying to me, but there were definately boses with the numbers for answers then the A, B, C and so on. It wasn't a flowing sheet if you get my drift... She also very clearly said, and I checked this by email, that the paper starts with the easier questions and the further on you go the questions become more challenging ending with the hardest of all.

This of course was for that particular paper, nothing to say next times will be different!

8) the shades are hiding my red eyes from my boy......
sherry_d

Post by sherry_d »

Committed my understanding is the Kent NVR is timed per section and has been for a few years. Last year it was 9mins for 18question and its start and stop. The number of question they have to answer varies but the rule of thumb is aboout 30sec per question
Impossible is Nothing.
committed

Post by committed »

Hi Sherry_d,

Yes, the NVR is in timed sections , the comment was directed at the Maths and VR which do not appear to be in sections on the practice papers, but according to T12acy appeared to be in sections of 6ish questions when reviewed...

I'm not sure, but I am interested - just so that I can let my DS know. :D

R.
sherry_d

Post by sherry_d »

Maths and VR arent split its just NVR but if thats wrong hopefully someone can correct me.
Impossible is Nothing.
SSM

Post by SSM »

NVR is timed sections.
VR is groups of questions of the same type but the sections are not timed, so there may be six questions which all relate to the same code in one section.
Maths has always been individual questions.

I think T12ACY is referring to the answer sheet. Which is in blocks, I think this is just so that it is easier to find the right question number, so rather than having a list going from 1 to 80, it is split in sections so you would have 1-5 then a line 6-10 and so on. I'm pretty sure the Nfer practice answer sheets are like this and the same as the proper test.
committed

Post by committed »

Thanks for the clarification SSM.

C.
crazydaisy

Post by crazydaisy »

I think you are raising a really important point here in this thread. Coping psychologically with the tests is half the battle, and we found that 'learning how to cope with a hard paper' practice was time very well spent. We worked with Bond papers, which I know cover stuff that isn't tested in Kent but stood us in very good stead. We did the level 5 papers, and then a couple of level 6 which had lots of questions in our DD simply didn't understand at all - but doing them under test conditions helped her cope with a run of impossible questions and keep going without panicing. I know it sounds mean, but it's much better to deal with this at home when practising and learn strategies to deal with the situation there. We found laughing at the stupid question, seeing if they'd hidden an easy question in a difficult wording, being amazed when the approach was even half right, giving loads of praise for trying all helped. NFER were certainly too easy for Bromley, and I think it's much better to aim above the target if possible. There's still time! Good luck everyone. Sorry if I'm rambling a bit, jet lagged after finally getting home from Easter Hol. :D
WesterhamMum

Post by WesterhamMum »

I agree with Crazydaisy it is better to prepare them for questions they can’t answer than have them panic on the day. I also regularly reminded my DD’s that they are bright and well prepared, so the chances are that if they are struggling with certain questions, most others will be too.

It is also good to teach them that even if they are unable to answer a question, there are usually a few answers that they can definitely rule out and a one in three or 50/50 chance is better than a one in five. In maths for instance they can often figure out that it must end in 5 or it must be an even number or have three digits etc. and therefore rule out some answers giving them a better chance even though it is still a guess.

The final thing my dd’s found useful was during the Non verbal tests which are done in sections, they are usually given 2 minutes to do the practice questions but as these are not marked, I told them to just put anything down and then go on and start looking at the actual questions (sometimes this is not possible if they are over the page). This meant that when the 9 minutes started, they could quickly mark off the first few that they had worked out and go straight onto number 4 or 5, therefore giving them more time to complete the section.

Good luck to all of you for this year x
sherry_d

Post by sherry_d »

WesterhamMum wrote:The final thing my dd’s found useful was during the Non verbal tests which are done in sections, they are usually given 2 minutes to do the practice questions but as these are not marked, I told them to just put anything down and then go on and start looking at the actual questions (sometimes this is not possible if they are over the page). This meant that when the 9 minutes started, they could quickly mark off the first few that they had worked out and go straight onto number 4 or 5, therefore giving them more time to complete the section.
Thats so useful WM and really a great tip for our DCs, every second matters.

CraizyDaisy you certainly have a point about preparing them psychologically for tougher papers. The scores my DD got on her first practice papers test were very low as she kept moaning about timimg and how hard it was. She seemed really distressed about it all and she made lots of silly mistakes but this was her in the comfort of her bedroom so i cant imagine in an unfamiliar environment. When we were revising she would lead with the right answers which makes me think the pressure got the better of her but hopefu.lly she will be able to keep her cool with more practice.
Impossible is Nothing.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now