darrickwood school

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
twix

darrickwood school

Post by twix »

hello, please can anyone give me their thoughts on darrick wood school. the good and bad please. thank you
Ang's mom

Re: darrickwood school

Post by Ang's mom »

I am sorry no one has answered back,pobably because it isn't a grammar school. It's the nearest comprehensive to us and I would be sending my daughter there if she doesn't get into any of the grammar schools.

It's considered a very good school around here, the other choice being Priory which is considered as a poor school, mainly because of it's location.
I am going on heresay , and I would be more than happy if somone else comes and clarifies/corrects this.
inspired2win

Post by inspired2win »

Hi there, l am only aware of darrickwood junior school but not the high school.

A friend told me a few years ago that she was desperate to find out about a school. Knew nobody at the school. So she went to the school just before closing time and questioned some parents hanging around to pick their kids up.

Obviously some parents will be helpful while others may not. However she seemed to get a good idea about the school that way.

I guess she was desperate but it helped her.

If you get no where, you might want to consider this option.

All the best.
Billie

Post by Billie »

I know children there who are very happy and doing very well. I'm aware of sixth formers looking at applying for Oxbridge.
Bright children are pushed (they are put into sets for everything including p.e. and its done early in year 7) - GCSEs particularly in Maths can be taken early. The problems are more for those who struggle and are in the low sets.
Otherwise its a question of your child's needs. Boy or girl? Would a mixed or single sex school be better? Resultswise I'm told that its better for girls than Wilmington girls grammar.
If you live near then for boys there is also Ravenswood to look at.
DW catchment area is only about 1 mile. I think Ravenswood's is about 3 miles.
Go round and get a feel - DW's open evening is usually in early September.
Ang's mom

Post by Ang's mom »

Hi Billie,

Interesting that DW is better than Wilmington though it doesn't have the grammar school name attached to it.

Could you give some more information on why it's thought so ?

Thanks in advance.
Billie

Post by Billie »

I don't know if it is actually 'better', but I think the argument was that DW gets very good results despite a significant proportion of the 'best' having been creamed off by the grammars.
According to the school website in 2009 93% got more than 5 A*-C at GCSE - not at all bad for a comp.
I don't know what Wilmington got and it possibly was better than that but maybe there is less creaming off elsewhere. Perhaps it is just playground talk but for those in the DW catchment Wilmington Girls may not for everyone be worth the journey.

Playground talk is that Wilmington Boys is preferred to the girls school. I have seen Wilmington boys and was impressed. I haven't seen Wilmington Girls.
Ang's mom

Post by Ang's mom »

Thanks Billie..