Dartford Girls

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
moved

Dartford Girls

Post by moved »

I am tutoring three girls for the Essex 11+, but due to their geographical location they are also sitting for Dartford Girls. I am familiar with the out of county application to both The Judd and TOGS. Scores of very close to 140 in each test required, etc.

Is it the same for Dartford or is it just a case of passing the Kent test?
sherry_d

Post by sherry_d »

Dartford girls is mainly distance based. Its the boys which I think maybe based on score. I remember reading it that it was oversubsribed by around 50 girls or thereabouts this year. Maybe someone with figures and more information can help but I doubt they have a chance if they dont live in the Dartford parishes. Apart from the Superselectives in West Kent and Dartford Boys, many of the Kent grammars are distance based. Even Maidstone Boys which need boys score of 390 still take on distance. The only girls school that I know that takes on scores is TOGS. I found the following information on Dartford Girls http://www.clusterweb.org.uk/Children/a ... 09_sec.cfm

Over-Subscription Criteria
Where applications for admission of eligible girls exceed this number, the following criteria will be applied in the order set out below, to decide which girls who satisfied the selection requirements should be offered places:

1. Looked After Children / Children in Local Authority Care
A girl under the age of 18 years for whom the Local Authority provides accommodation by agreement with their parents/carers (section 22 of the Children Act 1989) or who is subject of a care order under Part IV of the Act.

2. Siblings –

2.a) The sister of a girl (or brother in the sixth form) who will still be attending the school at the time the student would be admitted and where the family reside within the area defined in categories 3 and 4 below.

2.b) The sister of a girl (or brother in the sixth form) who joined the school before 1st October 2009 and who will still be attending at the time the student would be admitted.

In this context “siblingâ€
Impossible is Nothing.
Lass

Post by Lass »

Girls that live out of area will need to achieve a higher pass mark (local girls just need a pass if they fulfil the oversubscription criteria). I understand that this year the OOA girls needed a score of 404 or more.

I was told by the school last year that usually there are about 30% of OOA girls who achieve places - however I think since they changed their criteria from feeder schools to named parishes that this has dropped to 10% OOA.

My DD will be starting at DGGS in September and when we went to an intro evening recently the HT mentioned that there were girls from various areas including one from Essex.
moved

Post by moved »

Thanks very much. I will pass this on to their parents. Going to be a tough year with the millennium baby boom.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

The millenium baby boom was an illusion:

year births
1996 643862
1997 637001
1998 629926
1999 615994
2000 598580
2001 588868
2002 590453
2003 615787
2004 633651
Ang's mom

Post by Ang's mom »

Sorry if I am being a bit daft

But does this mean a child from Orpington has no chance of getting into Dartford Girls now ?

Are the entry requirements similar to Tunbridge Wells and Weald of Kent ?

Can someone kindly explain in layman terms ?
Lass

Post by Lass »

Ang's mom wrote:Sorry if I am being a bit daft

But does this mean a child from Orpington has no chance of getting into Dartford Girls now ?

Are the entry requirements similar to Tunbridge Wells and Weald of Kent ?

Can someone kindly explain in layman terms ?
Not a lot has really changed except that instead of taking from feeder schools, the school now take from the listed parishes. Unfortunately for this intake the list of parishes excluded a few villages - ours included (although it is now listed for next year) - so our DD was classed as OOA and still achieved a place.

From what I understand, DGGS have always allocated places to the immediately local girls first, then to girls in a larger area from surrounding villages, and then beyond that according to scores and distance to everyone else.

The school told me last year that around 50 girls each year (ie 30%) come from OOA and they take these girls with the highest scores - ie this year the cut off was 404 I believe. I think the previous year the cut off score was around 400.

I read somewhere that this year the OOA girls were about 10% of the total intake. However, as the school has changed the criteria from selected feeder schools to named parishes, I would assume the area has just increased. Girls that would previously have been classed as OOA may well now be in area. So overall there are probably no changes to the girls who are achieving places and where they live.

Does that make sense? :)
Ang's mom

Post by Ang's mom »

Lass wrote:

The school told me last year that around 50 girls each year (ie 30%) come from OOA and they take these girls with the highest scores - ie this year the cut off was 404 I believe. I think the previous year the cut off score was around 400.
Thanks Lass :)

So I guess there wont be any harm if I stick in Dartford after Newstead in the schools list.

One more doubt..The cut off - how is it calculated ? Is it a certain top % of those that got the highest marks in the Kent test ?
Lass

Post by Lass »

Ang's mom -

I would presume that the spaces are filled by "local" girls first and any places available after that are given to the girls with the highest scores from OOA. So each year it's going to vary as per the number of spaces available to OOA and the cut off point for scores.
Ang's mom

Re: Dartford Girls

Post by Ang's mom »

Thanks Lass :)
I have decided to keep Dartford in my list
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now